Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: telecommunications
The General Services Administration received responses Thursday from vendors on how to shape the first major acquisition under the Network Services 2020 program. Officials say they are heeding the mistakes and missteps of the Networx contract. GSA expects to issue a RFP in November and make the first awards in May 2015.
The Government Accountability Office found in a new report that the 33-month delay in moving to GSA's Networx contract from FTS2001 caused agencies to spend more money and miss out on potential savings.
The Defense Information Systems Agency will issue several contracts under a unified capabilities initiative to move virtually all of DoD's communications onto Internet Protocol-based networks, and to better integrate voice, video and data services.
On this week's Capital Impact show, Bloomberg Government analysts will discuss how U.S. providers are being affected by the NSA Survelliance controversy, and the impact of the Affordable Care Act.
June 20, 2013
Tags: acquisition , NSA leaks , cloud computing , Verizon , Google , Microsoft , Obamacare , Affordable Care Act , Allen Scott , Allan Holmes , Joe Scott , Jersey City Medical Center , Bloomberg Government , Capital Impact
The Network Services 2020 initiative will not be a large worldwide contract as the Networx and FTS procurements were over the past 20 years. GSA still is developing the overall strategy, but plans to use a similar approach it used with DISA on the recent satellite communications contract.
Tags: technology , acquisition , Industry , Kevin Gallo , GSA , DISA , Tony Bardo , Hughes Network Systems , Network Services 2020 , Future Commercial Satellite Communications Services Acquisition , Independent Telecommunications Pioneer Association , Jason Miller
FEMA pre-positioned people and equipment along the East Coast before Hurricane Sandy arrived. The FCC, which is monitoring communications networks, said about 25 percent of all cell sites were down.
The Social Security Administration awarded CenturyLink a follow-on deal under the Networx telecommunications contract.
GSA may have to give as many as 20 agencies an extra nine months to transition to the five-year-old telecommunications contract. The agency says 96 percent of all transitions are done or in progress. GSA is developing a strategy for the next generation of telecommunications services.
The latest report on the 10-year effort to build a nationwide interoperable communications system shows law enforcement agents are still using 15-year-old radios. DoJ's Integrated Wireless Network program has been a victim of budget shortfalls and poor governance.