Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: strategic guidance
The Pentagon begins the process of revealing its budget plan for fiscal year 2013. The proposal includes the scaling back of several weapons systems, savings on personnel costs, along with an assurance from top DoD officials that even though the military will be smaller, it will be more agile and more capable.
Tags: DoD , DoD budget , reversibility , efficiencies , Budget Control Act , sequestration , Leon Panetta , James Winnefeld , Martin Dempsey , pay and benefit , workforce , Jared Serbu , On DoD , retirement , TRICARE , acquistion workforce , Budget , Robert Hale , BRAC , IT efficiencies
The Air Force plans to further reduce its ranks by 9,900 airmen as part of DoD's overall budget reductions. The personnel cuts tilt heavily toward the Air National Guard.
The Air Force expects to cut its end strength by roughly 10,000 under the new DoD strategy the Pentagon revealed last week. Also the Army's service chief indicated DoD plans to ask Congress for two more rounds of base realignments and closures.
Declining budgets are a factor, but not the only factor in DoD's new strategic guidance. In this week's edition of On DoD, Pentagon spokesman George Little and Capt. John Kirby tell Federal News Radio the department would be implementing a new strategy with or without today's fiscal pressure.