Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: senate homeland security and governmental affairs
A Senate panel probes the government's continued foreign language deficiencies. The Government Accountability Office finds limited progress across several agencies. DHS and DoD are taking steps to increase the number of employees with foreign language skills.
Administrator Gordon says strategic sourcing is one way to ensure the government gets the lowest price and to consolidate existing contracts. Gordon also wants agencies to submit business cases for new multi-agency contracts, but doesn't commit to asking agencies to justify all types of multiple award contracts.
Tags: contracting , Dan Gordon , Steve Kempf , John Needham , Rick Gunderson , Claire McCaskill , Scott Brown , OFPP , GSA , GAO , NIH , NASA , DHS , Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs , Interagency contracting , multiple award contracting , schedules , GWACs , Jason Miller
The Senate Homeland Security Committee approved a bill that could dramatically reshape how agencies secure their computer networks.
Learn more in today's cybersecurity update.
Kshemendra Paul, the new Program Manager for the Information Sharing Environment, must reestablish the role of the organization, experts say. James Carafano of Heritage says Paul must convince and educate the intelligence community about the value of the ISE. Jim Dempsey of the Markle Foundation Task Force says Paul must figure out the ISE's relationship with other information sharing organizations in the government.
Tags: technology , Kshemendra Paul , Leslie Phillips , OMB , ODNI , DoJ , Information Sharing Environment , Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs , GAO , James Carafano , Jim Dempsey , Paul Wormeli , IJIS , Heritage , Markle Foundation Task Force , information sharing , NIEM , Jason Miller
Audit agency calls for business cases to justify new multiple award contracts, and a database listing all existing contracts. Sen. McCaskill plans to hold a second hearing on interagency contracting in June.
Tags: contracting , Joseph Lieberman , Susan Collins , Claire McCaskill , Ed Towns , Darrell Issa , GAO , GSA , OFPP , Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs , MACs , GWACs , Interagency contracting , Jason Miller , Contract Overload
Congressional staff members call the current MAC environment "chaos." The administration will decide in a matter of weeks whether NIH should continue to run its CIO-SP3 governmentwide contract. OFPP administrator Gordon says several broad policy decisions must be made to address the challenges around multiple award contracts.
Tags: contracting , Dan Gordon , Molly Wilkinson , Peter Levine , OFPP , GSA , Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs , Senate Armed Services Committee , NIH , Scott Amey , Jim Williams , Alan Chvotkin , POGO , Professional Services Council , TechAmerica , multiple award contracting , GWACs , Jason Miller , Contract Overload
Senate subcommittee looks at Stafford Act and how it may need some reform.
What's the best way to train the next generation of federal agency supervisors? a Senate panel holds an oversight hearing exploring proposed legislation to improve the way that potential mid-level managers are trained, and ways to continue and enhance the training and experience they already have.
Tags: management , Pay&benefits , Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs , Daniel Akaka , Nancy Kichak , OPM , Marilee Fitzgerald , DoD , Defense , John Palguta , Partnership for Public Service , Max Cacas
The upper chamber will review IMPROVE Act provisions through the Defense Authorization bill. The Senate also is considering other acquisition bills focusing on the workforce.
Tags: contracting , Peter Levine , Molly Wilkinson , Susan Collins , Joseph Lieberman , Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs , Senate Armed Services Committee , DoD , Coalition for Government Procurement , McKenna, Long and Aldridge , Jim Schweiter , IMPROVE Act , Acquisition reform , acquisition workforce , Federal Acquisition Institute , cybersecurity