Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: reinventing government
When our mothers told us we were precious and irreplaceable it was a warm and fuzzy feeling. But are you really one-of-a-kind at work? What's likely to happen to your organization, and the government in general, when you leave?
A new commission, proposed by David Walker, former U.S. comptroller general, would recommend ways to streamline government by removing duplication and extraneous spending from government agencies. Federal-employee unions criticized the proposal and House Oversight and Government Reform Committee lawmakers expressed skepticism that such a proposal could gain congressional approval.
Tags: management , budget , oversight , Congress , best practices , House Oversight and Government Reform Committee , John Mica , Carolyn Maloney , David Walker , Stephen Goldsmith , Elaine Kamarck , J. David Cox , Government Transformation Initiative , AFGE , Reinventing Government
During the last Defense drawdown, Congress and the White House pushed the Pentagon to make smarter buying decisions in the hopes that it would save a lot of money. The idea was to have the military buy many products the same way businesses do. A decade and a half later, DoD now spends tens of billions of dollars a year under the commercialized models Congress set up. In a two-part, exclusive report, Federal News Radio examines the debate underway over how well it has worked out.
Tags: commercial products , Bill Clinton , Al Gore , Reinventing Government , commercial of a type , Shay Assad , Clinger-Cohen Act , William Clinger , Federal Acquisition Streamling Act , Susan Lawrence , Army , Network Integration Evaluation , Navy , CANES , Coast Guard , John Korn , DoD , Aquisitions , Scott Amey , Project on Government Oversight , Defense Service Board , William Perry , Dennis Moran , Harris Corp. , Jared Serbu , Nett Warrior