Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: real property
The size of cubicles and offices at federal buildings is shrinking and feds have a lot to say about it. Federal News Radio's Web Manager Julia Ziegler joined Tom Temin and Emily Kopp on the Federal Drive with details. Read the related story.
Federal workers to see as much as 50 percent less cubicle or office space as part of how agencies are reducing office space costs. Rep. Lou Barletta (R-Pa.) pressed GSA and others on their preparation to more efficiently deal with 100 million square feet of leased space that is scheduled to expire in the next five years.
Tags: management , Lou Barletta , GSA , Norman Dong , Jeffrey Orner , DHS , DoD , HHS , EJ Holland , Freeze the Footprint , House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee , Eleanor Holmes Norton , Ariel Levin-Waldman
Does size matter when it comes to your cubicle? It's up for debate. Five of the largest agencies tell a House panel that they are trimming the total square footage per employee by at least 50 percent. Federal News Radio's Executive Editor Jason Miller joined Tom Temin and Emily Kopp on the Federal Drive to discuss the shrinking federal office space. Read Jason's related article.
GSA issued a RFQ that asks developers to restart the renovation of its stalled headquarters program and further DHS headquarters construction. The contractors wouldn't receive payment, but instead two buildings in Southwest Washington, D.C.
DHS, HHS, Interior and USDA all are on board to try out the Total Workplace initiative that focuses on open spaces, hotelling and mobile employees. GSA Administrator Dan Tangherlini said a new approach to office space will save money and improve how agencies meet their missions.
Reps. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), the chairman of the oversight committee, and John Mica (R-Fla.), chairman of the Government Operations subcommittee, want OMB to provide data to the committee on excess federal properties valued at $50 million or more. The committee has been seeking this information for more than two years, "yet these requests have consistently gone unfulfilled," Issa and Mica wrote in a March 24 letter to OMB Director Sylvia Burwell.
Rep. Lou Barletta (R-Pa.) is sponsoring a bill that would impact the federal workforce as well as a bill to restrict the growth of federal real estate. Barletta is the chairman of the Economic Development, Public Buildings, and Emergency Management Subcommittee on the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.
Tags: Lou Barletta , In Depth with Francis Rose , GSA , Government Employee Accountability Act , Public Buildings Savings and Reform Act , House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee , Freeze the Footprint , management , Senior Executive Service , Cogan Schneier
Senate committee members introduced the Federal Real Property Asset Management Reform Act of 2013 to address the management of federal real property. The government is the largest owner of property in the country, owning more than 1 million properties.
Members of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management want to know why the NRC spent millions of dollars to renovate office space it may never use. DHS and HHS were praised by the committee for their approach to consolidating office space.
Tags: GSA , NRC , management , real estate , Freeze the Footprint , House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee , Jason Miller , Dorothy Robyn , Lou Barletta , HHS , DHS , Ned Holland , Jeffery Orner , William Borchardt
In a broad move to wring more savings from real estate costs, the IRS announced it will close 43 small offices over the next two years and reduce space at many other larger facilities.IRS also plans to consolidate multiple offices "within the same commuting area" and will increase the use of desk-sharing and telework to save space at other offices.