Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: energy
Three agencies launched the Big Data Challenge Wednesday asking for ideas to bring together disparate data sets that help agencies meet their missions better. The contest is part of the administration's national big data development effort. The TechAmerica Foundation also released a new report to help agencies understand and use information more effectively.
Tags: technology , big data , TechAmerica Foundation , NASA , NSF , Energy , Suzi Iacono , Bill Perlowitz , Wyle , Steve Lucas , SAP , Teresa Carlson , Amazon Web Services , chief data officer , FCC , Steve Mills , IBM , challenges , contests , Jason Miller
Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Chairman Jon Wellinghoff said he needs congressional approval to manage cybersecurity on the electric grid.
Ninety percent of backlogged papers have been assessed and sent to agencies for review, but unexpected problems may cause government to miss 2013 deadline to clear the backlog.
Army says 130 companies have expressed interest in building renewable facilities on military installations so far. Winners will be picked by the end of the year.
Tags: DoD , Army , Army Corps of Engineers , Energy , renewable energy , contracting , industry , Power purchase agreements , Energy initiatives task force , Katherine Hammack , Thomas Bostick , Jared Serbu
Panelists are former Energy CFO Owen Barwell and Treasury Department's Nani Coloretti.
How is the government using big data currently?
DoE has implemented changes to improve its energy sustainability efforts in support of greenhouse gas reduction goals.
Senior Correspondent Mike Causey turns the column over to reader Doc frrom the Energy Department, for today's guest columnist. He's been in the private sector too, and worked overseas for Uncle Sam. And he says the good old days sometimes weren't all that good.
Managers should consider allowing employees to solve problems in other parts of government. Doing so is an effective way for agencies to improve workers' skillsets and maximize resources, said retiring Energy Department HR chief Mike Kane.