Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: efficiency initiatives
Scott Quehl, the CFO, and Simon Szykman, the CIO, work closely together on ensuring projects remain on track and are efficient as possible. Their relationship is making it easier for Commerce to deal with budget and oversight pressures.
The agency's task force detailed potential areas to cut the cost of technology in a 104-page report sent to the chief information officer this week. Stephen Warren, VA's principal deputy CIO, said the agency expects to save at least $50 million over the next year.
The Defense Department's new strategic management plan includes changes to the department's previous business goals, as well as new areas DoD plans to focus on in the coming year.
Defense Secretary Robert Gates said the military is not the cause of the nation's debt and deficits -- but it needs to be part of the solution. And he said finding that solution could involve reexamining military pay and benefits.
Ashton Carter, the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, described the future state of military contracting. He said vendors should look at several current examples including the Littoral Combat Ship and the replacement for the Ohio Class Submarine.
The Pentagon's decision to close Joint Forces Command in Norfolk, Va., remains its biggest hot spot in its effort to save $100 billion over the next three years.
Tags: In Depth , Francis Rose , management , technology , William Lynn , Jim Webb , Robert Gates , Carl Levin , Joseph Lieberman , Ashton Carter , John McCain , Senate Armed Services Committee , DoD , Joint Forces Command , BTA , Teri Takai , Jason Miller , JFCOM
Some Senate Armed Services Committee members are unhappy with the Pentagon's lack of transparency and inclusion in the decision to close the base. Defense Deputy Secretary Lynn said the Pentagon held almost 30 meetings before concluding that JFCOM needed to be closed. Lynn also offers insight into future of DoD CIO and BTA.
Tags: management , technology , William Lynn , Jim Webb , Robert Gates , Carl Levin , Joesph Lieberman , Ashton Carter , John McCain , Senate Armed Services Committee , DoD , Joint Forces Command , BTA , Teri Takai , Jason Miller , JFCOM
The Senate Armed Services Committee has agreed to hold a hearing Sept. 9.