Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: disabilities
The survey found lack of resources, awareness and training were the most common challenges in complying with Section 508. Fifteen percent of agency components said they could not identify any challenges to 508 compliance.
The Project on Government Oversight evaluates whether defense contractors would be hit hard by sequestration. Plus, what are best practices for creating PDFs that are accessible by people with disabilities?
Fourteen percent of the Defense Department's civilian workforce is disabled, compared with 11 percent governmentwide.
Akinyemi Banjo is a policy adviser at the Labor Department.
The Department of Navy is distributing a guide for hiring people with disabilities.
Customs and Board Protection recently signed an agreement to adopt a program developed by the Labor Department that facilities the hiring of individuals with disabilities.
A proposed Labor Department rule to mandate 7 percent of federal contractors' workforce be disabled people is aimed at elevating the importance of disability hiring to the level of affirmative action for race and gender, a Labor official said.
Agencies are increasing the number of disabled veterans in their ranks as they try to fulfill White House hiring mandates. But there's still a lot of unease about how disabled vets will fit into civilian environments. "The civilian workplace is a really bizarre place" for veterans, said workforce and diversity consultant Lisa Stern at a recent training she gave federal hiring officials in Bethesda.
The Labor Department is proposing a rule to mandate that seven percent of federal contractors' workforce is people with disabilities.
OPM has been looking over them for the last month, and Deputy OPM Director Christine Griffin offers a peek at what's in them.