Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: data center consolidation
A number of agencies have made high-profile migrations to cloud platforms and the Obama administration has issued sweeping guidance mandating agencies identify and transition services and applications to host in the cloud. For a look at how agencies are faring in their shifts to the cloud and the issues they continue to face, the Federal Drive with Tom Temin and Emily Kopp hosted a panel discussion, "Clearing the Fog Around Cloud Computing," sponsored by Level 3 Communications.
Dr. Emma Garrison-Alexander, TSA's chief information officer, said the goal is to make sure employees have the right device to match up with their mission requirements.
September 20, 2012
On the In Depth show blog, you can listen to the interviews, find more information about the guests on the show each day and links to additional resources.
A Congressional Research Service report found DoD accounts for 63 percent of energy consumption in the U.S. The White House's move to consolidate data centers could save at least $3 billion by 2015.
The CIO said he's using an agile approach to keep large programs on track and looking to the cloud to improve the agency's business processes.
Jul 19, 2012(Encore presentation August 27, 2012)
The Defense Department has laid out an ambitious cloud computing strategy that includes building up and transitioning to an DoD-wide enterprise cloud environment as well leveraging a broad range of commercial services. DoD Chief Information Officer Teri Takai released the four-step strategy Wednesday. The strategy includes steps for winnowing down the number of data centers to a few "core" elements as well as phasing out dedicated infrastructures in favor of shareable, virtualized ones.
OMB highlights successes of 25-point strategy on its 18-month anniversary. Federal CIO Steve VanRoekel said agencies saved $100 million from moving email to the cloud. There now are more than 1,000 qualified program managers in the new job series. The IT reform plan helps institute culture change from CIOs on down.
June 7, 2012(Encore presentation July 5, 2012)
Tags: technology , management , Steve VanRoekel , OMB , Mike Hettinger , SIIA , 25-point IT reform plan , cloud computing , shared services , TechStat , FedRAMP , acquisition , Jason Miller , Ask the CIO , PortfolioStat , agile development , 2210 job series , IT acquisition
CIO Lt. Gen. Susan Lawrence said better systems at posts, camps and stations will let soldiers train on the same equipment as they use in the field. The move to the cloud, data center consolidation and enterprise email are pushing the Army toward a data-centric approach.
May 31, 2012
ThunderCat Technology founder Tom Deierlien joins host John Gilroy to talk about how his company can help your agency with its data center consolidation.
May 1, 2012
Tags: technology , Vivek Kundra , data center , Tom Deierlien , Thundercat Technology , DFAS , Army Corps of Engineers , Customs and Border Protection , NetApp , Knight Point Systems , Riverbed , FDCCIConnect.com , John Gilroy , Federal Tech Talk
The military's chief information officer, Teri Takai, said after the Army completes its migration to DISA's email-as-a-service, the Air Force will be next. She said the Navy also is in discussions to move to the cloud. DoD soon will release a new cloud computing strategy and standards guide for industry.
March 22, 2012(Encore presentation April 19, 2012)