Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- Improving Healthcare Outcomes through IT Policy
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: civil liberties
Several advocacy groups have raised major civil-liberties concerns about pending cybersecurity legislation, claiming the language may unfairly expose personal information and punish those who hide it.
DHS officials said they're only monitoring Twitter and Facebook to get situational awareness of the homeland security situation. Congress seems unconvinced. Privacy group wants lawmakers to take action to stop DHS.
Tags: Privacy Act , privacy , DHS , Congress , social media , information sharing , Patrick Meehan , Jackie Speier , Electronic Privacy Information Center , Mary Ellen Callahan , Jared Serbu , Web 2.0
Michael Reheuser is the director of the Defense Privacy and Civil Liberties Office, that oversees the Defense Department's compliance with the Privacy Act, which has been largely unchanged since 1974.
Gen. Keith Alexander, commander of the military's new Cyber Command and the director of the NSA, said DoD can help protect private networks from cyber attack - especially critical infrastructure - without infringing on civil liberties. He said civilian agencies and private network operators could leverage NSA's capabilities without having the spy agency be in charge of security.
Tags: DoD , cybersecurity , technology , Keith Alexander , U.S. Cyber Command , NSA , DHS , Do William Lynn , privacy , Information Technology Exchange Program , industry , information sharing , Jared Serbu
President appoints Mike Resnick to be the new senior director for information sharing policy. Congress questions how the White House position will mesh with the Program Manager for the Information Sharing Environment.