Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: civil liberties
Several advocacy groups have raised major civil-liberties concerns about pending cybersecurity legislation, claiming the language may unfairly expose personal information and punish those who hide it.
DHS officials said they're only monitoring Twitter and Facebook to get situational awareness of the homeland security situation. Congress seems unconvinced. Privacy group wants lawmakers to take action to stop DHS.
Tags: Privacy Act , privacy , DHS , Congress , social media , information sharing , Patrick Meehan , Jackie Speier , Electronic Privacy Information Center , Mary Ellen Callahan , Jared Serbu , Web 2.0
Michael Reheuser is the director of the Defense Privacy and Civil Liberties Office, that oversees the Defense Department's compliance with the Privacy Act, which has been largely unchanged since 1974.
Gen. Keith Alexander, commander of the military's new Cyber Command and the director of the NSA, said DoD can help protect private networks from cyber attack - especially critical infrastructure - without infringing on civil liberties. He said civilian agencies and private network operators could leverage NSA's capabilities without having the spy agency be in charge of security.
Tags: DoD , Cybersecurity , technology , Keith Alexander , U.S. Cyber Command , NSA , DHS , Do William Lynn , privacy , Information Technology Exchange Program , industry , information sharing , Jared Serbu
President appoints Mike Resnick to be the new senior director for information sharing policy. Congress questions how the White House position will mesh with the Program Manager for the Information Sharing Environment.