Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: bonuses
If Charles Dickens had written about the government's bonus program he might have called his novel "Bleak House," or maybe "Not So Great Expectations," Senior Correspondent Mike Causey says.
The Obama administration trying a different tack on federal-employee bonuses and awards in fiscal 2014. A new directive from the Office of Management and Budget and the Office of Personnel Management continues clear-cut spending caps on employee awards but won't outright ban them -- even if the across-the-board spending constraints, known as sequestration, continue.
Acting Administrator Dan Tangherlini said GSA has at least 15 different bonus structures and there are questions about the agency's award rates. He said 85 percent of all SES performance awards are on hold in through 2013. GSA also will not hire new employees until a top-to-bottom review of the agency's organization is completed.
Now the agency wants to hear from others about these ideas and their own recommendations on how to fix federal HR processes. Director Berry offers to get rid of the GS system, expand who can receive bonuses and bolster training.
The DoD website reports the National Guard Bureau is examining possible fraudulent bonuses.
Your most commonly asked questions about the federal pay freeze are answered.
The Senate has rejected an attempt to freeze federal pay and the size of the government workforce. Also included in the defeated proposal was funding for a planned State Department security training facility.