Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: William Woods
Congress is always active in the acquisition and procurement area. Every year, it enacts some provisions that are intended to improve the acquisition process.
In 1996, Congress passed the Clinger-Cohen Act, which eliminated the exclusive authority of the General Services Administration to acquire technology and allowed individual federal agencies to assume that role. This story is part of Timeline: Congress crafts acquisition policy.
In 1998, Congress passed the HUBZone Empowerment Act in order to give a boost to small business located in Historically Underutilized Business Zones in bidding on contracts.
Congress passed the Weapons System Acquisition Reform Act of 2009 to improve the way the Defense Department buys major weapons systems.
A new memo from OFPP details changes to how agencies should submit information on contracting. A working group suggests three changes to what departments did previously. Agencies must submit their data by Jan. 5.
GSA will award a contract to create a new enterprise architecture by the end of October. The agency's goal is to consolidate eight disparate systems to make it easier to access procurement data. The current systems are not interoperable and plagued with long-standing problems.
Tags: contracting , Vivek Kundra , Sen. Claire McCaskill , Sen. Robert Bennett , OMB , OFPP , GAO , GSA , Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs , FPDS , AOCS , PPIRS , Excluded Parties List System