Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- Improving Healthcare Outcomes through IT Policy
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: William Woods
Congress is always active in the acquisition and procurement area. Every year, it enacts some provisions that are intended to improve the acquisition process.
In 1996, Congress passed the Clinger-Cohen Act, which eliminated the exclusive authority of the General Services Administration to acquire technology and allowed individual federal agencies to assume that role. This story is part of Timeline: Congress crafts acquisition policy.
In 1998, Congress passed the HUBZone Empowerment Act in order to give a boost to small business located in Historically Underutilized Business Zones in bidding on contracts.
Congress passed the Weapons System Acquisition Reform Act of 2009 to improve the way the Defense Department buys major weapons systems.
A new memo from OFPP details changes to how agencies should submit information on contracting. A working group suggests three changes to what departments did previously. Agencies must submit their data by Jan. 5.
GSA will award a contract to create a new enterprise architecture by the end of October. The agency's goal is to consolidate eight disparate systems to make it easier to access procurement data. The current systems are not interoperable and plagued with long-standing problems.
Tags: contracting , Vivek Kundra , Sen. Claire McCaskill , Sen. Robert Bennett , OMB , OFPP , GAO , GSA , Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs , FPDS , AOCS , PPIRS , Excluded Parties List System