Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Vivek Kundra
Federal CIO Vivek Kundra announces plan to gauge technology programs monthly and hold agency CIOs more accountable. The initial version of the tool should be up by June 30.
Testimony obtained by FederalNewsRadio says IT security measurements focus too much on compliance and not on risk. GAO surveyed 24 agencies and found few have moved beyond just fulfilling FISMA requirements.
Tags: technology , Greg Wilshusen , John Streufert , GAO , OMB , State Department , Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs , NIST , Tom Davis , Deloitte , cybersecurity , FISMA , risk management
Almost ten months into the Obama White House, the President has made a commitment to make more use of technology to fundamentally change the way government does business. Two of his top technology officials paused to offer some ideas of how -- and why -- they plan to leverage technology to improve government.
Agencies must tell DHS, OMB how they will meet reduce the number of Internet connections they run. Some departments also have to estimate cost to meet TIC through Networx contract by Sept. 30.
Agency says industry questions are main reason for the extra time. Cloud storefront also likely delayed.
Internal documents obtained by Federal ews Radio details administration's plans to require use of the secure identity card, cloud computing, data center consolidation and several other initiatives. Current and former government officials say OMB clarified its stance on how to move forward with many of the former Bush administration initiatives.
The number of data centers has almost tripled over the past 10 years across government. One estimate is that 80 percent of all these capabilities are underutilized. Federal CIO Vivek Kundra says cloud computing is part of the answer to reducing the data center infrastructure.
Tags: contracting , technology , Gary Winkler , Jeff Sorenson , Greg Wilshusen , Diane Watson , Joseph Lieberman , Susan Collins , Army , OMB , GSA , GAO , DHS , IAC/ACT , Executive Leadership Conference , data center , APCs , cybersecurity
GSA putting pieces in place through acquisition process. RFQ for infrastructure-as-a-service expected soon, and more information about software-as-a-service coming too.