Shows & Panels
Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- American Readiness: Renewable Power and Efficiency Technologies
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Delivering the Digital Government Mission
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal News Radio's National Cyber Security Awareness Month Special Panel Discussion
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- Government Perspectives on Mobility and the Cloud
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- The New Generation of Database
- Reimagining the Next Generation of Government
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Training
John Sepulveda, the Veterans Affairs Department assistant secretary for human resources and administration, said the portal lets employees assess their skill gaps and create a plan to move up the career ladder. HUD and DLA also have initiatives to create high performing employees and organizations.
Navy CIO Terry Halvorsen issued a policy making IT security training provided by the services to sailors and Marines equitable to commercial accreditations. He said the department shouldn't have to pay for civilian education courses when DoD programs work just as well.
Feds looking for career guidance and motivation are increasingly going outside of their agencies to find it. Employees from 20 agencies attended a recent "flash mentoring" session hosted by the Office of Personnel Management's HR University. More seasoned human resources professionals served as mentors.
The government's training portal has nearly 10,000 users. The HR University now offers college-accredited classes and in-person "flash mentoring" events. The Office of Personnel Management and the Chief Human Capital Officers Council launched the portal last year as a way to save agencies money on professional development training.
GS-12s to GS-15s want more say in labor-management conversations. Patricia Niehaus, the president of the Federal Managers Association, said too often political appointees and SESers are the only managers at the table. OPM's John Berry said he will work with FMA and others to figure out how to be more inclusive.
The Office of Naval Research is going beyond routine training to invest in its workforce. In addition to classroom time, employees can go to speaking engagements and complete rotational assignments, including virtual assignments.
Improvements to training and employee retention are increasing department workforces and saving money, agency chief human capital officers for the Education and Veterans Affairs departments said at an event Tuesday.
Agency chief financial officers and deputy CFOs said their top three priorities and challenges all revolve around improving how their agency manages spending, according to an exclusive online survey by Federal News Radio. Agencies expect the 2013 budget request to include significant cuts in across-the-board discretionary spending. CFOs and deputy CFOs also said they are concerned whether their workforces are adequately trained to meet the job's growing demands.
The Office of Personnel Management has updated the telework training offered through Telework.gov. Agencies must provide telework training to employees who are able and willing to work outside the office before the two parties sign a telework agreement. The upgrades will allow agencies to track which employees use and complete the training, according to the memo.
The University of Maryland's CIO Certificate program focuses on teaching its students to meet the challenges of management and leadership. The certificate program is one of several affiliated with GSA's CIO University.
January 19, 2012