Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Tom Vilsack
White House officials were in close contact with the Agriculture Department in the hours leading up to Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack's decision to fire USDA employee Shirley Sherrod in 2010, according to administration emails.
The Agriculture Department's closing of 259 offices could result in buyout offers, said the agency's deputy secretary. This week Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said the closures would save about $150 million year in the agency's $145 billion budget.
The big shrink is on at the Agriculture Department. The department announced plans to close 259 offices, labs and other facilities. Government Executive Editor-in-Chief Tom Shoop joined In Depth with Francis Rose to discuss what the department's plan means, both for itself and as a model for other agencies.
Labor to set up Chief Evaluation Office. VA to empower Performance Improvement Officer. USDA focuses on matching priorities with budget submission.
Tags: Management , Scott Gould , Seth Harris , Kathleen Merrigan , Peter Orszag , Jeffrey Zients , USDA , Labor , OMB , VA , performance management , Chief Evaluation Officer , chief performance officer , performance improvement officer
This week's three most important Federal news stories, as chosen by Agilex's Bob Otto, and Washington Post "Federal Eye" Ed O'Keefe.
Tags: In Depth , Francis Rose , Bob Otto , Ed O'Keefe , Federal News Countdown , Shirley Sherrod , USDA , Gulf Coast oil spill , OMB , Ted Kaufman , VA , Vivek Kundra , FDCCI , GAO , DoD , Asif Khan , ERP
Council on Environmental Quality issues new guidance giving agencies instructions to measure greenhouse gas emissions. Council chair Nancy Sutley said the directive includes approaches used inside and out of government. Agencies have until January 2011 to complete an initial baseline inventory.
Tags: Management , green government , Nancy Sutley , White House , Council on Environmental Quality , USDA , GreenGov Symposium , greenhouse gas emissions , Executive Order 13514 , solar panels , Jason Miller , Greening of Government: people
Read the exclusive story from Politico.
Employees at Fort Detrick's USDA lab are using their gardening skills to help the community, creating a People's Garden to grow produce for a local food bank.