Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Susan Collins
The Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee today approved the nomination of Heather Higginbottom to be deputy director of the Office of Management and Budget.
Fears that the leak of thousands of State Department memos to the website WikiLeaks would reverse progress on interagency sharing of national security information have not materialized, officials testified Thursday. Agencies have responded by recognizing the need to protect data rather than by hoarding it, they said.
Tags: DoD , Congress , technology , information sharing , State Department , Director of National Intelligence , James Clapper , Teri Takai , Corin Stone , Patrick Kennedy , WikiLeaks , Joseph Lieberman , Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs , identity management , secure identity cards , CACs , public key infrastructure , SIPRNet , Jared Serbu
Nearly every President since Richard Nixon tried to revamp how the government works in one way or another, and few have found any real success. Experts say the focus should be getting Congressional buy-in first, and not promising cost savings. Four senior lawmakers ask OMB for more information on the status of the current restructuring effort.
Tags: management , Jeff Zients , Moira Mack , Joseph Lieberman , Darrell Issa , Elijah Cummings , OMB , White House , Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs , House Oversight and Government Reform Committee , DHS , John Kamensky , Dwight Ink , Janet Hale , Thomas Reinhardt , Jim Locher , Beryl Radin , Robert Tobias , Scott Fosler , IBM , Deloitte , CSC , Project on National Security Reform , American University , NAPA , Center for Public Policy and Private Enterprise , government reorganization , Jason Miller
Sen. Collins asked GAO to study the current roles and responsibilities of these senior technology managers. This would be the third such study from GAO since 1996, but first since 2005. VA's CIO Roger Baker reiterates his call to give CIOs oversight and authority of their IT budget.
Tags: technology , management , Roger Baker , Vivek Kundra , Valerie Melvin , OMB , VA , DHS , Interior , GAO , Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs , technology management , CIO's role , IT reform , Jason Miller
Postmaster General Pat Donahoe said he's ready to announce more RIFs and without legislative help USPS will face insolvency this year. Sen. Susan Collins introduced a bill to help solve some of the challenges the Postal Services faces.
Tags: management , pay and benefits , Stephen Lynch , Pat Donahoe , Darrell Issa , Dennis Ross , USPS , Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs , House Oversight and Government Reform Committee , FERS , CSRS , budget , Jason Miller
GAO's biannual list includes 30 programs that are in trouble. House and Senate members promise to focus more of their attention on the initiatives most at risk. Members plan to use the model that worked for DoD and personnel security clearances in other problematic areas.
Tags: management , Gene Dodaro , Elijah Cummings , Darrell Issa , Josphe Lieberman , Daniel Akaka , GAO , DoD , Census , USPS , Oversight and Government Reform Committee , Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committ , High Risk list , personnel security clearances , congressional oversight , 2010 census , cybersecurity , waste, fraud and abuse , Jason Miller
Lawmakers are worried about a so-called Internet "kill switch" in a cyber bill.
Two years ago a group of Senators asked how effective the Department of Homeland Security was in protecting the border between the U.S. and Canada. The report is in, and the Senators are not happy.
Experts and lawmakers say the proof will be in the OIRA guidance to agencies in how impactful these reforms will be. Agencies must submit plans to OIRA in 120 days about how they will review existing regulations to ensure they are still relevant. Agencies will have to determine a cost-benefit analysis on existing rules.
Tags: management , Barack Obama , Cass Sunstein , Darrell Issa , Joseph Lieberman , White House , OIRA , Oversight and Government Reform Committee , Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committ , Gary Bass , Susan Dudley , OMBWatch , George Washington University , regulatory reform , regulatory burden , executive order , Jason Miller
The bill aims to improve acquisition workforce training, increase accountability and expand the use of the Acquisition Workforce Training Fund.