Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Sequestration
Two airline trade associations and the Air Line Pilots Association said they have filed a lawsuit asking the U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington to stop the furloughs.
Politicians first said it couldn't happen, then that it shouldn't happen and, finally, we were assured it would never happen. One problem, it -- sequestration-triggered furloughs -- did happen. Not as quickly as some predicted. But they are with us, as federal agencies juggle their finances, Senior Correspondent Mike Causey says.
The agency has identified five furlough days where it will, essentially, shut down entirely. A memo sent Friday to IRS staff from Acting Commissioner Steven Miller said the furlough days will start in May and continue through August.
Homeland Security, Defense and USDA are asking the Office of Management and Budget for the ability to reprogram agency funds to soften the blow of sequestration. DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano said the agency must cut $3 billion by Sept. 30 and every mission, contract and person will be impacted in some way. She said the Coast Guard already is feeling the impact of the cuts in mission areas.
Tags: budget , DHS , Janet Napolitano , DoD , Labor , Jon Etherton , Etherton and Associates , Coalition for Government Procurement , House Homeland Security Committee , cybersecurity , St. Elizabeths , DHS headquarters , workforce , Jason Miller , sequestration
Defense agencies and services are pulling back hundreds of millions of dollars worth of grants and contracts. Impending furloughs will further impair DoD's ability to get money out the door.
Tags: DoD , Congress , science and technology , sequestration , DARPA , Matthew Klunder , Alan Shaffer , Arati Prabhakar , Jared Serbu , House Armed Services Committee , budget , research and development
Furloughs are still on the radar, Senior Correspondent Mike Causey says. But are they getting any closer? What are your odds of working four-day weeks this summer?