Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Senate Homeland and Governmental Affairs Committee
In this edition of Inside the Reporter's Notebook, Executive Editor Jason Miller shares news and buzz about the IT and acquisition communities. Senate lawmakers prepare to mark-up IT reform bill next week. CIO's spend time at camp where OMB and others emphasize the word of the year: effectiveness.
Tags: technology , DATA Act , financial management , A-11 , OMB , FITARA , FISMA , cybersecurity , Steve VanRoekel , Tom Carper , Tom Coburn , budget , security clearances , ODNI , Jason Miller , Inside the Reporters Notebook
Union and CBP officials call for reform of outdated OT pay system, saying the purpose of Administratively Uncontrollable Overtime was misinterpreted.
Tags: workforce , management , Catherine Emerson , Jeh Johnson , DHS , John Tester , Carolyn Lerner , OSC , National Border Patrol Council , Brandon Judd , Ronald Vitiello , CBP , administratively uncontrollable overtime , pay and benefits , Lauren Larson
For the first time in its history, the Homeland Security Department turned in a clean financial audit. A new DHS inspector general report, however, says the department has "significant deficiencies" in its internal control over financial reporting.
Members of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee laud Beth Cobert's private sector experience. But Sen. Tom Carper (D-Del.) said Senate leaders do not plan to debate or vote on any nominations during the shutdown.
In responding to a list of wartime contracting changes Congress ordered last year, agencies cited many advances, but acknowledge challenges remain. Recent audits show major problems in how the Defense and State departments, and the U.S. Agency for International Development, continue to spend billions of dollars in Afghanistan.
Sen. Tom Carper (D-Del.) talks about his plans as the new chairman of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee. Greg Kutz of TIGTA discusses new progress being made by the IRS in recruitment and hiring. Jennifer Martinez, staff writer at The Hill newspaper, discusses the new Executive Order on cybersecurity. Don Kettl of the University of Maryland's School of Public Policy offers insight on the State of the Union speech.
Tags: Tom Carper , Congress , Greg Kutz , TIGTA , IRS , Jennifer Martinez , The Hill , cybersecurity , Barack Obama , State of the Union , Don Kettl , University of Maryland , Federal Drive , DoD , DoD Report , Cybersecurity Update
Republican lawmakers in the House and Senate wrote to President Barack Obama urging him to not issue an executive order setting voluntary cybersecurity standards for private-sector operators of critical infrastructure.
Tags: Congress , House , Senate , cybersecurity , cybersecurity legislation , Susan Collins , Joseph Lieberman , Fred Upton , House Energy and Commerce Committee , Cybersecurity Act of 2012 , CISPA , Jack Moore
Walter Shaub Jr. said the STOCK Act could cause unintended consequences for federal employees' privacy and safety. Shaub said he favors revisions aimed at striking a balance between the need to protect personal information and the law's requirement to disclose stock trades.
Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) has sponsored legislation to revive the fast-track authority requested by President Barack Obama. Other senators, however, want more details before signing off on the plan that, in part, would allow the President to merge overlapping business- and trade-related agencies.
Tags: GAO , duplication , waste , Tom Coburn , Senate , Joe Lieberman , Susan Collins , Patricia Dalton , Danny Werfel , USTR , Emily Kopp , Barack Obama , management , government reorganizatio , workforce
GAO reviewed the administration's implementation of the July 2010 memo calling for a government-wide review of financial management projects. Auditors found about half of the projects said there was no change in cost and three-quarters said their schedule remained the same.