Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: SBA
All signs are pointing to the fact that despite the government spending less overall on acquisition last year, agencies met the statutory goal of awarding at least 23 percent of all prime contracts to small businesses. Experts say contract consolidation and bundling will negatively impact small firms in the coming years.
SBA said GSA's impact analysis failed on two main accounts. SBA said it disagreed on GSA's claim that OS3 is a follow-on contract to OS2 and therefore is not a consolidation of contract requirements subject to the provisions of the Small Business Act. SBA also said GSA's argument that it is "contrary to law" to provide an economic analysis on the consequences of small business on a consolidated contract is wrong.
Small businesses don't have to stay small to qualify for small business work, according to a decision from the SBA Office of Hearings and Appeals. The decision sets a precedent for size rules for government contractors. Lee Dougherty, a partner at Fluet, Huber and Hoang, was a guest on In Depth with Francis Rose.
House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) says agency inspectors general are increasingly facing obstacles in their efforts to uncover waste and misconduct. The top watchdogs at both the Justice Department and the Peace Corps told lawmakers they've faced resistance from their agencies at times in turning over records in recent years. Lawmakers also expressed concern about the impact of across-the-board budget cuts on the operations agency IG operations.
Tags: Congress , House , House Oversight and Government Reform Committee , Darrell Issa , Elijah Cummings , inspector general , Peggy Gustafson , DoJ , Kathy Buller , Michael Horowitz , CIGIE , Jack Moore
SBA, OPM have new CIOs as the carousel in government IT spins once again.
The Veterans Affairs Department's decision comes as lawmakers are putting this acquisition concept under more scrutiny. House Veterans Affairs and Small Business Committee lawmakers question whether agencies are getting the best prices and whether they are sacrificing competition. GAO, other experts say OFPP needs to develop a governmentwide policy for reverse auctions.
Tags: contracting , industry , GAO , Michele Mackin , OFPP , Richard Hanna , House Small Business Committee , House Veterans Affairs Committee , VA , Jan Frye , Bill Sisk , GSA , Major Clark , reverse auctions , Congress , FedBid , Jason Miller
In an interim final rule issued last week in the Federal Register, VA announced it would not cede the control of deciding on socio-economic status protests to the Small Business Administration. VA moved the decision authority to the director of the Center for Veterans Enterprise instead of the director of the Office of Small and Disadvantage Business Utilization (OSDBU).
House Small Business and Veterans Affairs committee members plan to introduce a bill Thursday to make the service-disabled veteran-owned small business program less cumbersome, confusing and more transparent.
The Small Business Administration issued a final rule to implement the Small Business Jobs Act. It requires prime contractors to report when they do not pay small business contractors on time. Contracting officers also must oversee small business subcontractor performance more closely.