Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Recovery Act
Eric Gillespie, founder of Recovery.org, launches Govini, hoping to fill the gap left by Deltek and Bloomberg Government in providing government market data.
Pundits may question whether Congress should have approved $804 billion in stimulus money via the Recovery Act of 2009. But many in government have come to realize that the independent agency charged with overseeing how that money was spent -- the Recovery Accountability and Transparency Board -- has a lot to teach financial managers about ensuring transparency and rooting out waste in government spending.
Tags: RAT Board , Earl Devaney , Kathleen Tighe , Danny Werfel , Michael Wood , transparency , technology , financial accountability , financial management , Rise of the Money People , Michael OConnell , OMB , oversight
Agencies are testing software to analyze data for potential problems. The Recovery Accountability and Transparency Board is now hosting these tools in the cloud to make it easier for agencies to use them.
Agencies and lawmakers, seeking to implement accountability and transparency practices governmentwide, are taking a page from the Recovery Board's playbook. One of the successes of the RAT Board was in changing the way agencies dealt with erroneous or improper payments, said Earl Devaney, the former chairman of the Recovery Accountability and Transparency Board and now a senior adviser at Reznick Government.
The IBM Center for the Business of Government released a report examining the lessons from the execution of the stimulus over the last three years.
The RAT Board is a model for government-wide spending oversight, and bipartisan legislation in both the House and Senate could make the RAT Board a permanent fixture in overseeing federal spending.
Actual spending of American Recovery and Reinvestment Act funds between February 2009 and September 2011 exceeded Congressional Budget Office estimates by $20 billion or about 4 percent, according to a post on the CBO Director's blog.
Kathleen S. Tighe, the inspector general of the Department of education, will succeed Earl Devaney as chairman of the Recovery Accountability and Transparency Board. She will oversee the board's final 21 months, as Recovery process winds down.
Whistleblowers at government contractors need better protections against reprisal and need to know how to contact agency inspectors general. Two IGs and a whistleblower awaiting trial were among the witnesses at a hearing of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Reform Subcommittee on Contracting Oversight. It is considering legislation to extend federal whistleblower protections to all contractors, subcontractors and local governments receiving federal funds.
Tags: contracting , whistleblowers , Senate , Claire McCaskill , Rob Portman , Walter Tamosaitis , Hanford Waste Treatment Plan , Energy , DoD , Marguerite Garrison , Peggy Gustafson , SBA , transparency , URS , Bechtel , Emily Kopp
The outgoing chairman of the Recovery Accountability and Transparency Board said the work of the oversight agency was transformational in its way of approaching catching and preventing fraud.