Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: President
It's that time of year again, our last pre-spring national holiday honoring William Henry Harrison (and about 40 of his fellow presidents). So what makes him so great? For one thing he never sequestered anybody, Senior Correspondent Mike Causey says.
The administration wants chief information officers to take more control over spending on technology, especially in those areas in the "shadows." OMB acting Director Jeff Zients said the Interior Department's approach to giving its CIO control over almost all spending is a model for the rest of the government. Federal CIO Steven VanRoekel to release a report on expected savings from PortfolioStat in the coming months.
Federal CIO Steven VanRoekel wants agencies to create vendor management organizations to centralize how contractors work with departments. So far, four agencies are piloting the vendor management organizations. VanRoekel, who also wants agencies to use investment review boards more for strategic goals, said the use of both tools "very much align with our priorities to do more with less."
Tags: technology , management , Steven VanRoekel , David Kappos , Roger Baker , Scott Gould , David Hayes , VA , PTO , Interior , IRS , vendor management organizations , investment review boards , Jason Miller ,
The Veterans Affairs Department said it saved $40 million by using this centralized approach to managing contractors. vendor management organizations also help agencies buy more strategically. OFPP plans to expand strategic sourcing and sets a $2 billion savings goal by 2015.
Tags: Steven VanRoekel , OMB , OFPP , strategic sourcing , technology , acquisition , acquisition policy , contracting , Joe Jordan , PortfolioStat , vendor management organizations , DHS , Jane Holl Lute , GSA , Dan Tangherlini , Transportation , John Porcari , Jason Miller ,
Happy William Henry Harrison day. Actually this holiday, officially known as Washington's Birthday Holiday, has been hijacked by merchants hoping you might buy more if it honored more people. But Senior Correspondent Mike Causey says it'll always be GWs birthday to him, and Martha.
Unions, management associations and agencies will continue to meet through September 2013 to discuss issues from employee evaluations to bargaining over office space and technology. President Barack Obama signed an executive order extending the National Council on Federal Labor-Management Relations, the President's Management Advisory Board and seven other advisory committees.
The Associated Press is reporting that an internal Navy document shows new plans to replace the president's fleet of helicopters will cost taxpayers more and take years longer to deliver than a recently scrapped contract. Rep. Maurice Hinchey said the Pentagon's plan to abandon aircraft built by Lockheed Martin Corp. and buy a new fleet with similar capabilities at a cost of up to $22 billion for delivery as late as in 2024 is "beyond illogical." He represents the district where the helicopters are made. The funding issue likely will boil over next week when House and Senate lawmakers meet to resolve differences over their respective defense spending bills.
Sec. Gates discusses the shortcomings of contracting and procurement policies
OPM told a Senate subcommittee that recruitment, training and onboarding are among their top priorities to improve the Senior Executive Service. More than half of all SESers are eligible to retire by 2013. OPM's Nancy Kichak said SES pay compression is the biggest challenge in need of Congressional help.
Tags: pay and benefits , management , Nancy Kichak , Daniel Akaka , OPM , White House , President's Management Council , Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs , Carol Bonosaro , SEA , Senior Executive Service , compression pay , SES reforms , Jason Miller ,
High winds have blown over the National Christmas Tree, which is lit by the president every year on the Ellipse south of the White House.