Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Phil Reitinger
Deputy undersecretary of Homeland Security for the National Protection and Programs Directorate
Secretary Napolitano reorganizes how the agency oversees IT security. It's now more of a ‘command and control structure.'
Tags: technology , management , Janet Napolitano , Sean Donelan , DHS , Secret Service , DoD , Information Security and Privacy Advisory Board , cybersecurity , Cyber Command , TIC , Security line of business
An interagency working group is trying to decide whether the administration should submit a proposal to Congress to update several laws. The White House's cyberspace review recommended legislative updates to address shortcomings in the current statutes. Justice also reviewed the Einstein 3 program even as DHS still is testing it.
Suzanne Spaulding will replace Phil Reitinger as the deputy under secretary. She worked as a consultant and on Capitol Hill previously. DHS also created a deputy under secretary for cyber security.
The White House's draft bill includes many similarities with the one sponsored by the Sens. Lieberman, Collins and Carper. The biggest issues are around the President's powers over the Internet during emergencies and whether there should be a Senate-confirmed cyber coordinator at DHS. Senate Majority Leader Reid is making comprehensive cyber legislation a priority this session.
Tags: technology , Joseph Lieberman , Susan Collins , Tom Carper , Harry Reid , Jason Chipman , DHS , DoJ , Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs , NCTC , cybersecurity , liability protections , critical infrastructure , Jason Miller
An event this week sponsored by Potomac Institute in Arlington, Va., evaluates government's cyber spending priorities.
The memo is part of a broader effort to improve authentication to computers and buildings across government using secure identity cards. The White House also is close to finalizing the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace. President Obama could sign the strategy this winter.
Agencies and industry are trading employees with specific technology skills, but in the end both need to increase the overall workforce. One expert calls for the professionalization of cybersecurity workers. Agencies are finding new ways to recruit these in-demand employees.
Federal News Radio's Jason Miller joined the DorobekINSIDER to discuss agencies' struggles with recruiting cyber experts.
A U.S.-led, global exercise in cybersecurity preparedness and response is expected to wrap up in the next 24 hours. The scenario is helping seven agencies, 11 states, 12 nations and 60 private sector companies prepare for major cyber attack.