Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Peter Levin
Federal CTO Aneesh Chopra says agencies need people to lead this innovation. He also says new directive will help solidify the permanence of open government ideals.
In asking employees for their best ideas, the VA has come up with a few of its own. An internal competition for innovation is seen as a benchmark process ready to spread far beyond the agency's firewalls and across the federal landscape.
Agency officials will meet in June to approve the rollout of the first piece of an integrated and interoperable electronic health record for soldiers and veterans. VA and DoD also are creating a centralized database that will be located in DISA's data centers.
VA officials said they intend eliminate the backlog of disability claims by 2015 by looking to new technology. The agency wants to dramatically expand a pilot program that lets vets submit claims online.
Winners have been announced in the most recent effort under the VA's Innovation Initiative, a department-wide program that brings the most promising innovations to VA's most important challenges by involving employees and the private sector in the creation of visionary solutions in service to Veterans. VA CTO Dr. Peter Levin has details.
But first, say federal CTO Chopra and VA CTO Levin, Veterans Affairs will focus on good ideas.