Shows & Panels
Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- American Readiness: Renewable Power and Efficiency Technologies
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Delivering the Digital Government Mission
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal News Radio's National Cyber Security Awareness Month Special Panel Discussion
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- Government Perspectives on Mobility and the Cloud
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- The New Generation of Database
- Reimagining the Next Generation of Government
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Oversight
Rules and regulations are supposed to help the government make the smartest, fairest purchases are often complex. For Bill Woods, director of Acquisition and Sourcing Management Issues at the Government Accountability Office, federal procurement rules are a full-time pursuit.
The two influential senators say the mistakes the Defense Department and others made in the 1990s during the last serious budget reductions can't be repeated this time around. Sen. Joseph Lieberman (I-Conn.) said budget cuts shouldn't be balanced on the backs of the acquisition workforce. Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) added reductions in acquisition staff mean the government will pay more for goods and services.
Tags: acquisition , oversight , Susan Collins , Joseph Lieberman , Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee , acquisition workforce , training , Inside the Worlds Biggest Buyer , Jason Miller
Working group suggests CFC managers codify a ban on expenses for meals, beverages and entertainment. The recommendations follow an inspector general report that questioned more than $700,000 in spending, including a jazz band and chair massages.
The Customs and Border Protection directorate wants to weed out agents who "go bad" years into their careers, using more lie detector tests. Background checks at the Transportation Security Administration have kept more than 5,000 potentially bad actors from joining the TSA workforce. At Immigration and Customs Enforcement, leaders emphasize the importance of employee outreach and education to prevent corruption.
Tags: corruption , oversight , management , ICE , CBP , DHS , Thomas Winkowski , James Duncan , Timothy Moynihan , Michael McCaul , House Homeland Security Committee , Subcommittee on Oversight, Investigations and Management , ethics , Ruben Gomez
Two high-ranking senators requested information about conference travel and spending in all GSA regions in a detailed letter on Friday.
House staff report suggests TSA delayed, misled congressional investigators about contents of Texas warehouse that holds security screening equipment.
Tags: DHS , Congress , House Oversight and Government Reform Committee , House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee , Darrell Issa , David Nicholson , Jared Serbu , acquisition , contracting , oversight
Experts say all the focus on Capitol Hill and within agencies will lead to better management and give more respect to whistleblowers. Carolyn Lerner, the head of the Office of Special Counsel, said the attention on the misdeeds of the Public Buildings Service would bolster the need for stronger ethics and integrity.
Tags: management , GSA , OSC , Carolyn Lerner , Scott Amey , Project on Government Oversight , Tom Schatz , Citizens Against Government Waste , oversight , whistleblower protection , Jason Miller , Shakeup at GSA
The RAT Board is a model for government-wide spending oversight, and bipartisan legislation in both the House and Senate could make the RAT Board a permanent fixture in overseeing federal spending.
The Massachusetts Republican said in a letter to the President that the misconduct and violations at NOAA are much worse than those at GSA. He said the IG found unethical behavior and broken procurement rules.
From Darleen Druyun to Jack Abramoff to wartime contracting, history shows the Public Buildings Service's lavish spending is small potatoes. Experts say the energy and time Congress has put into hearing on the GSA conference near Las Vegas could be better used to address bigger, most costly problems.
Tags: Shakeup at GSA , management , oversight , GSA , Paul Posner , GAO , George Mason University , Scott Amey , Project on Government Oversight , Tom Schatz , Citizens Against Government Waste , Congress , Jason Miller