Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Jason Miller
Goutam Kundu, the agency's CIO, is focusing on reducing the number of applications, modernizing its systems and improving online customer service.
June 23, 2011
A new report found the courts have given presidents wide authority over federal contracting. But CRS finds plenty of examples where executive orders have violated existing law. The CRS study comes as the Senate passes an amendment in the defense authorization bill to prohibit DoD from collecting vendor information on political contributions.
CIO Simon Szykman said the department has a goal of $50 million in savings through strategic sourcing and that commodity technology will play a big role in achieving that mark. He said the agency also is looking at expanding NOAA's IT services contract so the rest of the department can use it.
Justice Department CIO Hitch has been in his position since 2002.
HHS and ATF are among the agencies preparing for a much lower budget in 2012 and beyond. Officials said short-term savings have been found, so now they must consider cuts to everything from real estate to personnel to non-critical functions.
Stories Federal News Radio reporters are working on for June 16, 2011.
Falling budgets have agencies considering extreme measures.
OPM Director John Berry said the administration is trying to be "responsible and professional" when it comes to changing the bonus and pay structure. He said agencies should take a step back and make sure they are using these programs effectively and promoting the best employees.
Tags: pay and benefits , management , John Berry , Scott Gould , Greg Gilman , Jeff Risinger , OPM , OMB , VA , SEC , NTEU , pay freeze , performance bonuses , within grade , Federal Labor Management Council ,
Even though the legislative authority expired in May, GAO determined it still can decide task order complaints because of the Competition in Contracting Act.