Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Jared Serbu
Federal CIO Steven VanRoekel wants agencies to cut spending and invest in new capabilities at the same time. Savings from outdated or inefficient IT projects can be plowed into new innovations, he said.
Federal News Radio's Jared Serbu tagged along for a tour of the Navy's new Laboratory for Autonomous Systems Research, where robots get to interact with the real world without going outside the Beltway.
Sequestration would kill hundreds of thousands of defense industry jobs, the Pentagon warns. Frank Kendall told senators during his nomination hearing to be the DoD acquisition chief that personnel accounts would be shielded so lower-tiered contractors would feel the brunt of cuts.
The Army has released the implementation plan for how it will get its networked systems to a state it calls the "common operating environment." The strategy is designed to phase out stovepiped systems and begin building technologies to a common set of open standards.
Military services still struggle to track hazing incidents, but insist incidents that harm or demean servicemembers won't be tolerated.
The Government Accountability Office says that even while the Army has made some strides toward improving its pay practices, the service is a long way off from the kind of data integrity independent experts would need to see in order to green light the systems as audit-ready.
Tags: DoD , Congress , Army , management , financial management , audit readiness , House Oversight and Government Reform Committee , Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Government , pay and benefits , workforce , GAO , Asif Khan , Kirk Zechinni , IPPS-A , Jeanne Brooks , James Watkins , DFAS , DMDC ,
The alcohol screening program is part of a sweeping realignment of personnel and readiness programs in the Department of the Navy.
Army would agree to buy energy from private plants on Army land but cut the plants off from the electric grid in the event of an emergency. The final solicitation could be out by this spring.
The Army is in the middle of a major rethink of mobile devices, including how it secures them, how it buys them and ultimately, how it uses them. The push comes amid a mandate to find $1.5 billion in IT savings across the Army.
Lawmakers weigh public's right to know against the need to protect cyber secrets. Sen. Patrick Leahy's (D-Vt.) provision in 2012 Defense authorization bill tightens the definition of "exemptions," but he questions the need for further rules to give agencies power to withhold information.
Tags: Sunshine Week , transparency , open government , Congress , FOIA , Senate Judiciary Committee , Patrick Leahy , Charles Grassley , Paul Rosenzweig , Jerry Ensminger , Melanie Pustay , Kenneth Bunting , National Freedom of Information Coalition , DoJ , Barack Obama , White House , Navy , DoD , management