Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: JFCOM
A memorandum signed by the president Thursday night gives DoD the green light to formally shut down the Joint Forces Command in Norfolk, Va. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said about half the command's functions will stay in the Norfolk area, while Virginia Democratic Sen. Mark Warner's office said JFCOM would be revamped and renamed.
Your daily debrief of the stories Federal News Radio reporters are working on.
Defense Secretary Robert Gates was expected to spend the morning detailing for members of Congress his internal cost-cutting measures, which he said in August would save the department $100 billion over five years. Analysts said the effort was intended to preempt any budget cuts that Congress might force on the department.
Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell talks with WTOP's Mark Segraves
Army General Ray Odierno took charge of JFCOM on Friday
The Pentagon's decision to close Joint Forces Command in Norfolk, Va., remains its biggest hot spot in its effort to save $100 billion over the next three years.
Tags: In Depth , Francis Rose , management , technology , William Lynn , Jim Webb , Robert Gates , Carl Levin , Joseph Lieberman , Ashton Carter , John McCain , Senate Armed Services Committee , DoD , Joint Forces Command , BTA , Teri Takai , efficiency initiatives , Jason Miller ,
Some Senate Armed Services Committee members are unhappy with the Pentagon's lack of transparency and inclusion in the decision to close the base. Defense Deputy Secretary Lynn said the Pentagon held almost 30 meetings before concluding that JFCOM needed to be closed. Lynn also offers insight into future of DoD CIO and BTA.
Tags: management , technology , William Lynn , Jim Webb , Robert Gates , Carl Levin , Joesph Lieberman , Ashton Carter , John McCain , Senate Armed Services Committee , DoD , Joint Forces Command , BTA , Teri Takai , efficiency initiatives , Jason Miller ,
Virginia's political leaders are heading to Washington, D.C., to press the military on the planned closing of the Joint Forces Command in Hampton Roads.
The Senate Armed Services Committee has agreed to hold a hearing Sept. 9.
Tags: management , Jim Webb , Robert Gates , Gerry Connolly , Diane Watson , Senate Armed Services Committee , DoD , House Oversight and Government Reform Committee , efficiency initiatives , Jason Miller
Also, could DoD's proposed shutdown of JFCOM be illegal?