Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Interior
Acting Director Jeff Zients wrote in a blog post today that agencies have met half of President Obama's goal to save $8 billion by the end of 2013.
Federal CIO Steven VanRoekel wants agencies to create vendor management organizations to centralize how contractors work with departments. So far, four agencies are piloting the vendor management organizations. VanRoekel, who also wants agencies to use investment review boards more for strategic goals, said the use of both tools "very much align with our priorities to do more with less."
Tags: technology , management , Steven VanRoekel , David Kappos , Roger Baker , Scott Gould , David Hayes , VA , PTO , IRS , vendor management organizations , investment review boards , Jason Miller , President
Interior estimates 13 million acres in the Western United States have high winds, lots of sunlight, or sit on top of geothermal sources.
The agency announced it awarded Onix, the company which protested the 2010 contract, a $35 million deal to provide email-as-a-service to 92,000 employees. Under the terms of the deal, Onix must fully migrate Interior employees to the cloud by December.
Shelley Metzenbaum said agencies are doing a better job in setting outcome-based goals and using data to measure their progress. OPM is finalizing guidance and training to use the competence models for performance improvement positions. Treasury and DHS are setting their own path to using data to meet their mission goals.
Tags: management , OMB , Shelley Metzenbaum , OPM , Andrea Bright , Richard Beck , Treasury , Kevin Donahue , DHS , Amy Culbertson , performance management , GPRA Modernization Act , performance improvement officer , Performance Improvement Council , Jason Miller
The Justice Department has reached a $1 billion settlement with 41 American Indian tribes that had brought 72 separate lawsuits against the U.S. government. Some of the disputes are more than a century old.
Interior Secretary Ken Salazar was on track for pay raise that would have brought his salary on par with other Cabinet secretaries, until Sen. David Vitter (R-La.) gave him a quota. Until Salazar each month approved six new deep-water permits to allow exploratory oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico, Vitter would block the raise.
Agencies have to meet a series of milestones starting in June to eventually migrate two commodity IT functions to shared services or strategic sourcing contracts. VA, GSA, Interior and Patent and Trademark Office have tested the concept of managing by portfolios as well as vendor management organizations.
Tags: technology , management , OMB , Steven VanRoekel , Roger Baker , VA , GSA , Casey Coleman , David Kappos , Patent and Trademark Office , David Hayes , PortfolioStat , TechStat , vendor management organizations , IT efficiencies , Jason Miller
Angela Canterbury, director of Public Policy at the Project on Government Oversight, said the Obama administration's efforts at transparency and openness have garnered mixed results.
A new report shows agencies already cut the use of management-support contracts by 7 percent in 2011. OMB details four focus areas to continue to reduce spending on contracts for 2012.
Tags: acquisition , contracting , Danny Werfel , OMB , Commerce , Rebecca Blank , Intelligent Decisions , strategic sourcing , Campaign to Cut Waste , HHS , management support contracts , high-risk contracts , Jason Miller