Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Ike Skelton
After the passage of the 1986 Goldwater-Nichols Act, the Pentagon stopped fighting the Congressional push for the military services to come together. Instead, it innovated joint operations beyond the wildest hopes of reformers in Congress. Can that model be exported to the rest of the federal government?
It took more than four years, but Congress succeeded in revamping the organizational structure of the Pentagon over the strident objections of the military's own leadership 25 years ago.
Tags: DoD , management , reorganization , Goldwater-Nichols Act , Barry Goldwater , Sam Nunn , Bill Nichols , James Locher , David Jones , Rudy deLeon , Lindsey Graham , Jared Serbu , Joint Chiefs of Staff , Army , Navy , air force , Marines
Experts differ on how the position should work
The House Armed Services Committee today formed a panel to figure out how best to reform the Defense Department's acquisition programs and processes.
Tags: contracting , Jim McHugh , Jim Andrews , Mike Conaway , Clair McCaskill , Carl Levin , John McCain , House Armed Services Committee , Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs , DoD , acquisition reform
The leadership of several key defense committees will change hands as a result of the 2010 midterm elections. The transfer of power is expected to reshape defense oversight in the House.
Tags: DoD Report , congress , Congressional Spotlight , 2010 Election , Buck McKeon , House Armed Services Committee , DoD , David Petraeus , Afghanistan , Don't Ask, Don't Tell , GITMO , Dorobek Insider
Congressmen Skelton and Davis say legislation would apply the lessons learned from Goldwater-Nichols Act to more than 13 agencies to help promote collaboration and understanding of each other's roles. The bill calls for a two-year detail for each senior official to learn how other national security agencies work.
Tags: pay and benefits , management , Geoff Davis , House Armed Services Committee , DoD , State , Treasury , USDA , James Loser , Project on National Security Reform , national security personnel , training , Goldwater-Nichols Act , Jason Miller
A bipartisan team of former national security and military leaders passes judgement on the Quadrennial Defense Review.
The House Armed Services Committee has given unanimous approval to a bill that would mandate sweeping reforms of the Pentagon's non-weapons system contracting and acquisitions programs. The bill, HR 5013, enjoys broad bi-partisan support and is being fast-tracked for a possible vote as early as next week.