Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: House Armed Service Committee
Federal News Radio's DoD Reporter Jared Serbu offers news tidbits and buzz about the Defense Department.
Tags: Defense Department , budget , Congress , Buck McKeon , Carl Levin , Senate Armed Service Committee , Martin Dempsey , Quadrennial Defense Review , Tim Kaine , MacKensie Eaglen , Jared Serbu , Inside the DoD Reporter
The Pentagon says its spending plan acknowledges defense spending is on a downward trajectory, and reduces force structure in order to balance other priorities such as readiness. If sequestration stays in place, the calculus will change, Defense officials say.
Weakness in the private-sector economy has let the Pentagon spend fewer dollars on recruiting efforts over the past several years. It still beat its targets for both the quantity and quality of new enlistees and officers it brings into its ranks. But officials believe things could get more difficult.
Faced with congressional inaction in averting looming across-the-board cuts that take effect in January, the Office of Management and Budget will begin meeting with agency leaders to discuss how the cuts will be implemented. In a memo to agency heads, OMB Director Jeff Zients said his office will consult with agencies to determine which budget accounts and programs are exempt from sequestration.