Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- Government Perspectives on Mobility and the Cloud
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Reimagining the Next Generation of Government
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: HSPD-12
Printing Office gets a spot on the Approved Products List to offer graphical personalization services. GPO first mulled providing these services in 2006.
The memo is part of a broader effort to improve authentication to computers and buildings across government using secure identity cards. The White House also is close to finalizing the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace. President Obama could sign the strategy this winter.
A draft policy obtained by Federal News Radio details new cybersecurity requirements for more than 1,500 buildings owned by GSA's Public Building Service. GSA wants to standardize how facility control systems connect to GSA's network. The document builds on work already being done under HSPD-12.
White House cyber coordinator says using secure identity cards and working more closely with industry among his top short term priorities. He says a new strategy to secure online transactions also is on track for the President's signature this fall. And he's closely watching Capitol Hill as Senate lawmakers may be close to completing draft of consolidated cyber bill.
Tags: technology , Howard Schmidt , Harry Reid , White House , Information Security and Privacy Advisory Board , cybersecurity , secure identity management , National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cybers , Jason Miller
White House to give identity management a push
Cyber coordinator Schmidt says the administration will issue a draft national strategy for secure online transactions by Friday. The goal is to make identity management easy to use, secure and interoperable to conduct business with the government and the private sector. Schmidt says transactions are key to everything the White House wants to do.
The military is performing a proof of concept in Utah by putting transit benefits on employees' Common Access Cards. USDA is implementing technology to require the use of HSPD-12 cards to log onto applications.
Phase 1 has already begun in expanding telework in the federal government.
OMB will issue a new memo on HSPD-12 in the coming weeks. Agencies are feeling more pressure to meet the secure identity card requirements. Administration is also closer to finalizing new strategy for securing online transactions.
Tags: technology , Paul Grant , Mike Butler , DoD , VA , DoT , SBA , Interagency Smart Card Advisory Board , OMB , CIO Council , Committee on National Security Systems , TechStat , Secure identity , Identity, credential and access management , Secure online transactions strategy
More than 3.3 million agency employees now have secure ID cards. The CIO Council also releases new roadmap and implementation guidance for identity and access management. The guidance is intended to bring several governmentwide efforts together under one initiative.