Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Goldwater-Nichols Act
After the passage of the 1986 Goldwater-Nichols Act, the Pentagon stopped fighting the Congressional push for the military services to come together. Instead, it innovated joint operations beyond the wildest hopes of reformers in Congress. Can that model be exported to the rest of the federal government?
It took more than four years, but Congress succeeded in revamping the organizational structure of the Pentagon over the strident objections of the military's own leadership 25 years ago.
Tags: DoD , management , reorganization , Barry Goldwater , Sam Nunn , Bill Nichols , James Locher , David Jones , Ike Skelton , Rudy deLeon , Lindsey Graham , Jared Serbu , Joint Chiefs of Staff , Army , Navy , Air Force , Marines
Congressmen Skelton and Davis say legislation would apply the lessons learned from Goldwater-Nichols Act to more than 13 agencies to help promote collaboration and understanding of each other's roles. The bill calls for a two-year detail for each senior official to learn how other national security agencies work.
Tags: pay and benefits , management , Ike Skelton , Geoff Davis , House Armed Services Committee , DoD , State , Treasury , USDA , James Loser , Project on National Security Reform , national security personnel , training , Jason Miller