Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Federal Data Center Consolidation Initiative
The Defense Information Systems Agency believes it can save the military services big bucks on data storage, processing and communications by becoming a one-stop-shop for IT in the continental U.S. Under a new Pentagon plan, it's the military's only provider for large data centers.
The council is restructuring to match the Obama administration's technology priorities for innovation, governance and cybersecurity. It will now operate with three main committees instead of five.
A Congressional Research Service report found DoD accounts for 63 percent of energy consumption in the U.S. The White House's move to consolidate data centers could save at least $3 billion by 2015.
The Navy has set initial target dates to plan for a more efficient IT infrastructure, including data center consolidation, virtualization and enterprise software licensing. As a first step, the service says it needs to get a better handle on how many software licenses it actually owns.
The Navy's top IT official ordered the entire service not to spend any money for new or upgraded servers and data centers. This comes as the service prepares to release its enterprise data center consolidation strategy in March.
It's been more than nine months since the Federal Data Center Consolidation Initiative began with the intent to reduce energy usage, lower IT costs and improve security. And some federal agencies are discovering that it's difficult to reduce spending without putting some money upfront first. NASA is just one of the federal agencies trying to [...]