Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Data center consolidation
Federal CIO Vivek Kundra expects GSA to issue a solicitation by May 10 for a $2.5 billion contract for email-as-a-service. It's part of how the administration wants agencies to move to cloud computing. Kundra said five of seven short-term IT reforms efforts are on track.
Tags: technology , management , Vivek Kundra , Roger Baker , Kathleen Merrigan , Daniel Poneman , OMB , GSA , VA , Energy , USDA , cloud computing , Email-as-a-service , role of the CIO , IT reforms , data center consolidation , Jason Miller
In the Defense department, the goal of consolidating tens of thousands of IT systems and networks into a more manageable structure is not exactly new. But some leaders in the department think with new budget pressures in play, they'll be able to make some serious progress.
The administration plans on cutting 100 data centers this year and 700 more by 2015. Bob Otto of Agilex Technologies says this is an attainable goal and offers tips for agencies in the process.
The agreement between the White House and Congressional leaders to fund the government through the remainder of 2011 would strip the E-Government fund of more than three quarters of its dollars. The fund, managed by the General Services Administration, pays for several of the Obama Administration's government transparency websites.
Tags: technology , Congress , Vivek Kundra , David McClure , OMB , GSA , cloud computing , data center consolidation , Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs , E-Government Fund , open government , transparency , TechStat , Jared Serbu
Susan Lawrence, the Army's newly-appointed Chief Information Officer members of the IT and communications industry that the service is focused on creating an end-to-end IT infrastructure, eliminating structures that required soldiers to train and live on one network, and deploy on another.
Terry Halvorsen, who was named the Department of the Navy chief information officer in November, told attendees at a San Diego conference that his organization would seek to build more effective, efficient IT structures by leveraging the size and capabilities of both the Navy and Marine Corps. He also predicted the department's IT operation would have to meet its responsibilities with fewer people and fewer resources than it now has.
The Navy has set initial target dates to plan for a more efficient IT infrastructure, including data center consolidation, virtualization and enterprise software licensing. As a first step, the service says it needs to get a better handle on how many software licenses it actually owns.
Tags: technology , Navy , DoD , Federal Data Center Consolidation Initiative , data center consolidation , cloud computing , DoD budget , Janice Haith , David Dorsett , Jared Serbu , DoD Report , Federal Drive
The Navy's top IT official ordered the entire service not to spend any money for new or upgraded servers and data centers. This comes as the service prepares to release its enterprise data center consolidation strategy in March.
Several departments are out ahead of the OMB mandate to consolidate data facilities over the next four years. Energy is starting small to show business owners they will get the same level of service under the new setup. Other agencies see green in cutting back on the centers-both money and energy efficiency.
Tags: technology , Bill Turnbull , Cindy Cassil , Margie Graves , Alfred Rivera , DHS , State , Energy , OMB , DISA , AFCEA , data center consolidation , cloud computing , green IT , enterprise e-mail , Jason Miller
Secretary Salazar issued a memo to give oversight of the IT budget to the chief information officer. The memo also removes the CIO title from the bureaus and renames them as assistant directors for information resources. Observers say this move by Interior has been long-overdue.