Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Commodity IT
Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) plans to offer the Federal IT Acquisition Reform Act (FITARA) as an amendment later this week to the 2013 Defense Authorization bill. The Senate held a hearing looking at the best approach to empower federal CIOs. The Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee heard that transparency, visibility and senior leadership are common traits among successful CIOs.
Tags: technology , management , Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs , Tom Carper , Tom Coburn , Steve VanRoekel , OMB , Simon Szykman , Commerce , Frank Baitman , HHS , David Powner , GAO , CIO authorities , PortfolioStat , IT duplication , Darrell Issa , Federal IT Acquisition Reform Act , House Oversight and Government Reform Committee , Jason Miller
The General Services Administration announced Thursday it had awarded 43 blanket-purchase agreements to small businesses to provide discounted commodity IT through the agency's National Information Technology Commodity Program (NITCP). The NITCP is designed to provide agencies a one-stop shop for the most commonly purchased, low-cost IT products.
A new request for information asks vendors at answer 10 questions about improving the strategic sourcing of commodity software titles. This is at least the fourth attempt to get more agencies using the enterprise software licensing initiative.
Nine months since OMB issued its 25-point plan to improve how agencies oversee technology, the tone is changing. Lisa Schlosser, the federal deputy CIO, said the goal is to make sure agencies are using their people, money and other resources as best as possible. Agencies are finding some early success with the IT reforms, especially around acquisition.
Tags: technology , workforce , contracting , Lisa Schlosser , OMB , Ken Rogers , State , AFCEA Bethesda , cloud computing , IT reform , data center consolidation , Jason Miller , FedRAMP , cybersecurity , service level agreements
CIO Simon Szykman said the department has a goal of $50 million in savings through strategic sourcing and that commodity technology will play a big role in achieving that mark. He said the agency also is looking at expanding NOAA's IT services contract so the rest of the department can use it.