Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Commerce
Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) plans to offer the Federal IT Acquisition Reform Act (FITARA) as an amendment later this week to the 2013 Defense Authorization bill. The Senate held a hearing looking at the best approach to empower federal CIOs. The Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee heard that transparency, visibility and senior leadership are common traits among successful CIOs.
Tags: technology , management , Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs , Tom Carper , Tom Coburn , Steve VanRoekel , OMB , Simon Szykman , Frank Baitman , HHS , David Powner , GAO , CIO authorities , PortfolioStat , IT duplication , Commodity IT , Darrell Issa , Federal IT Acquisition Reform Act , House Oversight and Government Reform Committee , Jason Miller
The administration is expected to release a new directive in the coming weeks to update Circular A-127, which defines how agencies operate their financial systems. The new guidance is expected to open the market up to vendors and make it easier for agencies to transition to shared service providers.
On the one-year anniversary of the Digital Government Strategy, the CIO Council and DHS are expected to issue a security baseline and reference architecture for mobile computing. The goal of the document is not to give agencies new requirements but to focus on those security standards that are mobile-centric.
Tags: technology , TechAmerica , CIO survey , Simon Szykman , Kevin Cox , CIO Council , Brian Teeple , DoD , mobile computing , cybersecurity , George DelPrete , Grant Thornton , Daren Ash , NRC , Jason Miller
The idea behind cyber threat intelligence is to understand more about the attack and the attacker than ever before by matching up patterns, anomalies and other characteristics of the bad guys. Energy, DoD, Commerce and DHS are all analyzing cyber attack data to develop this more complete picture.
Tags: technology , cybersecurity , McAfee , Alma Cole , DHS , Gil Vega , Energy , Simon Szykman , DoD , Teri Takai , information sharing , Public-private partnership , Threat intelligence , Jason Miller
Agriculture Department Secretary Tom Vilsack can move money in-between accounts within the same bureau, but not across the agency under a special provision called Interchange Authority. Vilsack has officially asked Congress for use of that authority in an effort to stunt the negative effects of sequestration at his agency. At at recent House hearing, Republican lawmakers questioned why more agencies haven't movasked Congress for similar permission.
Tags: management , budget , sequestration , Michael Young , USDA , Hari Sastry , FCC , David Robbins , Paul Gosar , Blake Farenthold , Darrell Issa , Elijah Cummings , Matt Cartwright , House Oversight and Government Reform Committee , reprogramming authorities
Inside the Reporter's Notebook: Barry West returns, two CIOs leaving, Einstein cyber initiative faces delay
Barry West is returning for his fourth gig as a CIO, and three other key technology officials are leaving. Two congressmen want to pressure contractors to pay back taxes.
Tags: technology , Barry West , Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation , Jeff Huskey , FTC , Jill Singer , National Reconnaissance Office , Keith Thurston , GSA , Scott Quehl , Jason Chaffetz , Jackie Speier , cybersecurity , E3A , DHS , Janet Napolitano , people , industry , Jason Miller
Scott Quehl, the CFO, and Simon Szykman, the CIO, work closely together on ensuring projects remain on track and are efficient as possible. Their relationship is making it easier for Commerce to deal with budget and oversight pressures.
Amin spent the last eight months as HUD's chief technology officer.