Shows & Panels
Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- American Readiness: Renewable Power and Efficiency Technologies
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Delivering the Digital Government Mission
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal News Radio's National Cyber Security Awareness Month Special Panel Discussion
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- Government Perspectives on Mobility and the Cloud
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- The New Generation of Database
- Reimagining the Next Generation of Government
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Coast Guard
Members of Congress are frustrated at what they see as a failure by the Department of Homeland Security to effectively manage the acquisition practices of its various components, leading to poorly defined requirements and wasted money. But DHS says some of the problems are of Congress' own making.
Federal officials say the budget environment — with or without sequestration — is leading agencies to come to grips with the idea that no matter how much they cut, no matter how much they work to become more efficient, they still will not have enough people or money to get everything done. The goal is to install discipline and data into the decision making process.
Coast Guard Rear Adm. Charles Michel, director of the Joint Interagency Task Force South told the Federal Drive with Tom Temin and Emily Kopp that cuts from sequestration are limiting the resources available to stop large amounts of cocaine from entering the country.
Three Department of Homeland Security components are testing how ongoing authorizations work. The Office of Management and Budget is drafting a memo to require agencies to change from approving the cybersecurity of systems every three years to a more regular oversight schedule.
Tags: technology , DHS , Jeff Eisensmith , OMB , Mark Powell , Larry DeNayer , Citizenship and Immigration Services , cybersecurity , continuous monitoring , ongoing authorizations , ACT-IAC , Jason Miller
Nearly 170 people are reported stranded in New York City, where Coast Guard helicopters are now being deployed, said Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Jamie Frederick. Most calls the Coast Guard received this morning were inland-based, Frederick said.
The Federal Drive gets post-superstorm Sandy updates from the National Weather Service and the U.S. Coast Guard.
The Veterans Affairs Department's National Cemetery Administration is testing the new employee appraisal system, called GEAR, to better define and measure employee performance. The Coast Guard also is preparing a pilot of the approached designed by the National Council on Federal Labor-Management Relations.
Tags: workforce , management , OPM , VA , Tim Curry , Curt Odom , Veronica Wales , AFGE , SEIU/NAGE , Mark Bailey , Demetrios Stroubakis , GEAR pilot , The National Council on Federal Labor-Management Relations , employee performance appraisals , Jason Miller
Catherine Emerson, the agency's chief human capital officer, said the annual turnover rate is only 1.35 percent for its 240,000 employees. She said new programs, called Cornerstone and Capstone, are trying to ensure employees have the leadership training necessary for the future. The Coast Guard also is increasing employee engagement as it prepares to move into its new headquarters at St. Elizabeth's in Washington.
Tags: Catherine Emerson , DHS , CHCO , workforce , recruitment , cybersecurity , diversity , morale , Manson Brown , management , leadership training , succession planning , Jason Miller , Francis Rose , Agency of the Month