Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- Government Perspectives on Mobility and the Cloud
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Reimagining the Next Generation of Government
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Chris Van Hollen
This week on AFGE's "Inside Government" attendees of the union's annual Legislative and Grassroots Mobilization Conference gather to address legislative priorities. Featured guests include Rep. Colleen Hanabusa, D- Hawaii, A. Philip Randolph Institute President Clayola Brown, American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) President Lee Saunders, and Virginia Democratic gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe. Also, tune in for a special report from Capitol Hill at AFGE's joint rally for jobs with AFSCME featuring AFGE National President J. David Cox Sr., Rep. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., and more.
AFGE, AFSCME rally against the potential cuts from sequestration as part of their week-long legislative conference. Union members are meeting with lawmakers to ensure they understand the broader impact cuts due to sequestration would have on the nation and the economy.
The House Rules Committee voted to fast-track legislation extending the pay freeze for federal employees through the end of the fiscal year. Federal workers are now slated to get a 0.5 percent pay increase in March when a stopgap continuing resolution expired. However, the measure approved by the House Rules Committee, introduced by Rep. Ron DeSantis (R-Fla.), would block that increase.
Congress is demanding more answers about how $1.2 trillion in budget cuts set to take effect in January will be applied across the government. The House Budget Committee Wednesday unanimously approved a bill directing the Obama administration to provide Congress a report that provides specific details about how the spending cuts will affect federal agencies and programs. Meanwhile, the House Armed Services Committee formally requested that the head of the Office of Management and Budget, Jeff Zients, testify before the committee on the "mechanics and impact" of the automatic cuts.
On the In Depth show blog, you can listen to the interviews, find more information about the guests on the show each day and links to additional resources.
Issues related to federal employees and their pay and benefits have played a starring role in the competing budget proposals introduced by the White House and lawmakers alike. Find highlights from how the proposed budgets would affect federal employees as well as how they've fared so far in Congress
Tags: budget , 2013 budget , pay and benefits , Barack Obama , Paul Ryan , retirement , Jim Jordan , Emanuel Cleaver , Congressional Black Caucus , Republican Study Committee , Steve LaTourette , Jim Cooper , sequestration
The House handily approved a bipartisan bill requiring the Obama administration to provide more information about how automatic, across-the-board cuts, known as sequestration, will be implemented starting in January. While the vote cut across party lines, lawmakers continue to disagree about ways to come up with alternatives.
Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) told The Federal Drive with Tom Temin that he and lawmakers who represent federal employees want to maintain this system for federal employees.
Rep. Chris Van Hollen, Dalia Rabin highlight importance of public service - May 18, 2012 and May 25, 2012
This week on AFGE's "Inside Government" Yitzhak Rabin Center Chair Dalia Rabin honors AFGE National Secretary-Treasurer J. David Cox, who received the 2012 Yitzhak Rabin Public Service Award. Also, Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) discusses the Budget Control Act and First Command Financial Services District Advisor Bob Hill provides retirement planning tips for federal employees.