Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: CIO
Chief Information Officer Jerry Horton said his agency is now linking its procurement and financial systems, among others, to take advantage of the large amounts of data USAID produces.
The report said cybersecurity contributed to some CIOs' reluctance to adopt mobility and cloud computing initiatives.
Shared services can mean anything from infrastructure consolidation to expanding operations services across a department or between agencies, sid Commerce Department's Chief Information Officer Simon Szykman in an interview with The Federal Drive with Tom Temin and Emily Kopp.
Deputy Defense Secretary Ashton Carter has put out a new charter for the DoD CIO Executive Board. Carter says the goal is to make it the single senior forum for everything from information management to cybersecurity.
In the Department of Veterans Affairs, it took two years and a big culture change to raise the rate of on-time deliveries of IT projects from below 30 percent to just shy of 90 percent. But according to VA's CIO, those changes amount to his department giving itself its own budget increase.
Alan Balutis, senior director for Cisco's Business Solutions Group, and a former chief information officer at the Commerce Department, said, "If everything is important, nothing is important."
Dan Mintz, former Transportation Department CIO, found much to like in Steven VanRoekel's first major speech.
Valerie Melvin is the director of information management and human capital issues at GAO.
The role of the chief information officer continues to evolve under the Obama administration. Today's federal CIOs are expected not only to drive efficiency, transparency and strengthen information and network security, but also to implement the best technologies and practices to establish and maintain relationships with citizens.
CIOs face additional pressure from the conflicting objectives of their mission. Among them: How does one balance the demand for immediate, transparent access to information while maintaining security and privacy? How does one reduce IT spending while improving services? What is the role of the CIO within the agency and how does one operationalize it?
We'll ask today's panelists to share their views on how to meet these challenges as well as their priorities for the next year. We'll also ask them to share how they are meeting the demands of both the public and the Obama administration while serving as agents of change.
Tags: technology , Federal CIOs Drive High Performance in IT , CIO Panel , Accenture , Obama , transparency , IT , Tom Temin , Federal Drive , Federal Security Spotlight , David M. Wennergren , DoD , Michael Duffy , Treasury , Robert J. Carey , Navy
July 14th, 2009
Listen to this week's show to hear discussion topics including:
- The changing role of the CIO
- How IT has influenced CIOs
- The Obama Administration's focus on the CIO
- DorobekInsider: Management of Change panel: The changing role of the CIO