Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: BRAC
DISA has also begun hosting town hall meetings about the transition, as well.
In September 2011, a new, 354-bed Walter Reed National Medical Center is expected to open its doors on the grounds of the current Bethesda Naval Medical Center in Maryland. The current Walter Reed in Northwest DC will close its doors forever. It's all part of the Pentagon's Base Realignment and Closure process, BRAC. Yesterday, the House Armed Services Committee found that the road to the new Walter Reed is currently paved with a lot of uncertainty.
A Northern Virginia lawmaker is successful in making the case to the Pentagon for a delay to give more than three dozen DoD agencies in Arlington County and the City of Alexandria two more years to make their move to new secure facilities under the BRAC process. Rep. Jim Moran (D.-Va.) says new buildings and infrastructure at Fort Belvoir simply aren't ready, and in the meantime, wants to ease the financial pressures on DoD landlords until the moves can happen.
DISA survey finds more employees expect to make move to Ft. Meade in 2010. The number who say they will not go to new headquarters decreases significantly.
$300 million has been set aside for BRAC-related transportation mitigation efforts. Will that be enough?
Virginia's Mark Warner says paying for the needed changes as a result of the Base Realignment and Closure may mean more tolls or a new tax based on how many miles you drive every day.