Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: Ashton Carter
Ashton Carter will continue as Pentagon procurement chief.
Katrina McFarland takes over for Frank Anderson as the new head of the Defense Acquisition University. DAU also will provide help for all agencies in buying services.
Under secretary Carter issued a new memo requiring the use of a new methodology for all business applications worth more than $1 million. DoD has more than 156 systems that meet that requirement.
Ashton Carter, the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, described the future state of military contracting. He said vendors should look at several current examples including the Littoral Combat Ship and the replacement for the Ohio Class Submarine.
Reuters reports that Undersecretary Ashton Carter, the Pentagon's head of acquisition, told industry officials that politics, the sluggish economy, and the size of the deficit might affect funding in the near future.
ARINC Vice President of Contracts and Procurement Glenn Baer says industry "is still trying to evaluate [the initiatives] to determine our entry point."
The Pentagon's decision to close Joint Forces Command in Norfolk, Va., remains its biggest hot spot in its effort to save $100 billion over the next three years.
Tags: In Depth , Francis Rose , management , technology , William Lynn , Jim Webb , Robert Gates , Carl Levin , Joseph Lieberman , John McCain , Senate Armed Services Committee , DoD , Joint Forces Command , BTA , Teri Takai , efficiency initiatives , Jason Miller , JFCOM
Some Senate Armed Services Committee members are unhappy with the Pentagon's lack of transparency and inclusion in the decision to close the base. Defense Deputy Secretary Lynn said the Pentagon held almost 30 meetings before concluding that JFCOM needed to be closed. Lynn also offers insight into future of DoD CIO and BTA.
Tags: management , technology , William Lynn , Jim Webb , Robert Gates , Carl Levin , Joesph Lieberman , John McCain , Senate Armed Services Committee , DoD , Joint Forces Command , BTA , Teri Takai , efficiency initiatives , Jason Miller , JFCOM
Learn more about efforts to increase competition in DoD contracting
One of the most experienced Pentagon acquisition experts has good news and bad news about Secretary Robert Gates's plan to reshape the Pentagon.