Shows & Panels
Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- American Readiness: Renewable Power and Efficiency Technologies
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Delivering the Digital Government Mission
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal News Radio's National Cyber Security Awareness Month Special Panel Discussion
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- Government Perspectives on Mobility and the Cloud
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- The New Generation of Database
- Reimagining the Next Generation of Government
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Search Tags: 2013 budget
The size of the federal workforce has been an issue of political discussion for the past couple years. But amid everything else in the official 2013 budget request unveiled Monday, the overall size of the federal government, in terms of staffing levels, will remain relatively constant.
The bill does not include Senate-confirmed White House cyber coordinator position. It does include new requirements under the Clinger-Cohen Act around acquisition. The comprehensive legislation complements several of the administration's 2013 budget proposals.
Tags: technology , acquisition , contracting , cybersecurity , IT , FISMA , Jay Rockefeller , Congress , Senate , Joseph Lieberman , Susan Collins , Steven VanRoekel , Clinger-Cohen Act , Jason Miller
Frank Reeder, a principal at The Reeder Group and former OMB official, joined In Depth with Francis Rose to discuss OMB's role in the ongoing budget process. Also, Robert Shea, a former OMB official with Grant Thornton, discussed the performance-management provisions of the 2013 budget request.
The 2013 budget request reduces half of the agency's discretionary spending. All agencies could face deeper cuts if Congress and the administration don't agree on a plan for deficit reduction in the next 11 months.
When the White House releases the federal budget request each year, it's an opportunity for federal agencies and departments to list their priorities, announce new initiatives and detail the programs — along with the funding levels to support those programs — each will undertake. But this year, in a nod to the climate of budgetary uncertainty and a Congress increasingly looking toward cuts, all of the agency budgets not only detail how they will spend money in fiscal-year 2013, but how they will save money.
Travis Sharp, a fellow at the Center for a New American Security, joined In Depth with Francis Rose to discuss the defense budget. Sharp argued that the new budget and the accompanying strategy may actually make the automatic sequestration cuts, set to begin in January 2013, easier for Congress to swallow.
Todd Harrison, a senior fellow at the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments, joined In Depth with Francis Rose to discuss pay and benefits proposals in the fiscal-year 2013 budget request unveiled Monday. CSBA has been surveying service members on how they view their benefits.
Anne Reed, the chairman of the board of ASI Government, joined In Depth with Francis Rose to discuss the 2013 budget request and its impact on technology and financial management.