Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
Shows & Panels
Wednesday - 12/5/2012, 3:26pm EST
WTOP NEWS is the source for news and information in the Mid-Atlantic and one of the leading news operations in the country. Within the past year, WTOP has received numerous awards, including News Operation of the Year by the Chesapeake AP, a Crystal Award for Excellence in Community Service, 2 National Murrow Awards, Marconi Awards for News/Talk Station of the Year AND Major Market Station of the Year, and named Legendary Station of the Year by the NAB. WFED Federal News Radio is the place for news and information on and about the Federal Government. From compensation, contracting, procurement and more, Federal News Radio knows what's going on with federal employees and its movers and shakers. WFED is also the radio home of Washington Capitals Hockey, George Washington University Men's Basketball, American University Men's Basketball, and Navy Football. WFED also broadcasts the Washington Nationals and Baltimore Ravens.
An internship at WTOP and WFED is an opportunity to learn from the best in broadcast journalism, including veterans of ABC, NBC, CBS, the Associated Press and other news organizations.
The goal of our internship program is to provide an outstanding learning environment for students to enhance their skills. This is a "hands-on" internship. The more students put into it, the more they benefit. Greater responsibility is given as the student progresses. Interns will also assist in the Public Affairs and Marketing Departments, working on promotional events and projects. Your duties will include:
- Writing and editing using AP's Electronic News Production System (ENPS).
- Man-on-the-street reporting.
- Phone interviews.
- Research story material.
- Edit audio using AdobeAudition.
- Take pictures and work on various assignments for WTOP.com.
- Assist with various "Ask The..." interview shows.
- Blog about your internship experience.
- Support reporters, editors, and writers as needed.
- Work with investigative unit on special assignments.
A student interested in an internship at WTOP and WFED will need to provide the following information:
- A completed Internship Application ("fill and print" version, "print and fill" version);
- A copy of a resume;
- A statement regarding the kind of experience the student is interested in gaining through the internship;
- A letter from an academic advisor recommending the student for the internship. Because our internships are unpaid, we require that all interns receive college credit for their experience. This ensures that the student's experience with WTOP and WFED meets educational goals.
From taking reporters' leads to gathering local reaction on a breaking story to interviewing a congressman, students will get the experience they need at WTOP and WFED. For more information, contact Melvin R. Chase, Jr., News Administrator/Director of Public Affairs, at 202.895.5040 or email him at email@example.com.