bnv.fnr.news/microsites;pentbeyond=main;tile=1;pos=top;sz=728x90,970x90;ord=
10:22 pm, August 29, 2014

Pentagon & Beyond

National Security Correspondent J.J. Green has traveled three continents covering intelligence, terrorism, and security issues. From Afghanistan to Africa, Iraq to Ireland, there isn't anywhere J.J. won't go, nor anyone he won't talk with, to get the stories affecting the defense and national security communities.

U.S. and Japanese military leaders discuss North Korea

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta called Japanese Defense Minister Naoki Tanaka to discuss developments related to North Korea's announcement that it plans to conduct a missile launch in mid-April. The Pentagon says both reiterated their view that such a missile launch would directly violate North Korea's international obligations and UN Security Council Resolutions. Both leaders agreed to continue close contact leading up to and following a potential missile launch.

Argentina asks for consideration for slain troops

Argentina's president has asked the International Red Cross to persuade Britain to let its DNA experts identify unknown soldiers buried in the Falkland Islands. Thirty years after Argentina and Britain went to war over the remote South Atlantic archipelago, Cristina Fernandez says universal human rights demand that both countries work together to give those remains back to their families. Her remarks came in a speech on the 30th anniversary of the Falklands War.

Mali coup drags on

The U.S. military is watching Mali very carefully. Five African presidents seeking to restore Mali's elected government are now meeting in Ivory Coast, after the planes carrying the heads of state to Bamako were forced to turn around because demonstrators supporting the military junta took over the tarmac, officials said. The presidents of Ivory Coast, Benin, Liberia, Niger and Burkina Faso were due to arrive in Mali on Thursday to press for the departure of the junior officers that grabbed power in a coup last week, reversing over two decades of democratic rule.

Alleged videotape of French killer surfaces

Did the man killed in the Toulouse, France standoff have an accomplice when he killed seven people before his own demise? A video apparently showing a gunman's attacks on soldiers and a Jewish school was sent to the Al-Jazeera television network but not by him. Al-Jazeera decided not to air a video that allegedly was filmed from the killer's point of view and show his victims anguish before their deaths.

Afghan attacks on U.S. troops increasing

Sixteen NATO service members, including eight Americans, have been killed by Afghan security officials or militants disguised in their uniforms so far this year. That would raise to 80 the estimated number of NATO service members killed by Afghan security forces since 2007, according to an Associated Press tally based on Pentagon figures released in February. More than 75 percent of the attacks have occurred in the past two years.

France breaks off communications with Mali

France suspend all security involvement with Mali following a military coup and appealed for the restoration of the constitutional order in the poor West African country. Drunken soldiers have been looting the presidential palace since they declared a coup soldiers and suspended the constitutions in Mali, one of the few established democracies in that region of Africa. There's no firm word on the whereabouts of the country's president who had been just one month away from stepping down after a decade in office.

Another case of retaliation emerges

An Afghan soldier shot to death a 22-year-old Marine at an outpost in southwestern Afghanistan last month. This is a previously undisclosed case of an apparent Afghan turncoat. It's at least the seventh killing of an American military member by his supposed ally in the past six weeks according the Marines. Lance Cpl. Edward J. Dycus of Greenville, Miss., was shot in the back of the head on Feb. 1 while standing guard at an Afghan-U.S. base in the Marja district of Helmand province.

War effort suffers possible setback

The U.S. in Afghanistan suffered two misfortunes Thursday. The Taliban broke off talks with the U.S., and President Hamid Karzai said NATO should pull out of rural areas and speed up the transfer of security responsibilities to Afghan forces nationwide in the wake of the killing of 16 civilians, by a U.S soldier. U.S. officials say there is no immediate plan to pull out of the villages.

The U.S. planning for Iran

In a possible conflict with Iran over its nuclear program, one piece of the puzzle is becoming clear. Reuters is reporting that an Air Force General says a 30,000-pound, bunker buster bomb designed to smash through some 200 feet of concrete before exploding would be a "great weapon". Lieutenant General Herbert Carlisle, Air Force deputy chief of staff for operations, says the military began receiving only last year.

Pre-screening approved for military

Members of the U.S. Armed Forces in good standing pose very little risk to aviation security. So as a part of its intelligence-driven, risk-based approach to security TSA will now offering expedited screening benefits to active duty service members at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA). Eligible service members include U.S. Armed Forces service members including reservist and National Guard members, who possess a valid Common Access Card (CAC) and are traveling out of DCA.

Russia accuses Libya of help Syrian rebels

Russia's accusing Libya of running a training center for Syrian rebels and arming the fighters in their battle to overthrow the country's President Bashar al-Assad. Russia's ambassador to the United Nations, Vitaly Churkin, told the U.N. Security Council, "We have received information that in Libya, with the support of the authorities, there is a special training center for the Syrian revolutionaries and people are sent to Syria to attack the legal government."

U.S. intel officer attacked in Yemen

Al Qaida is claiming it attacked a U.S. intelligence officer after U.S. soldiers were sent to the country. A statement posted on the al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula website said the attack happened last week in the southern city of Aden. The Pentagon confirms the attack but is disputing the group's claim that the officer was killed. The identify of the person attacked has not been made public.

Limbaugh program to remain on Pentagon radio network

A Pentagon spokesman says the military's network will continue to air Rush Limbaugh's radio program. According to the Associate Press, George Little says the American Forces Network offers a wide range of programming to reflect listeners' interests and he is unaware of any plans to review that decision. Limbaugh has come under fire for an outburst on his radio program last week when he called a 30-year-old law student a "slut" after she testified before Congress about birth control policies. He has since apologized.

Chinese to release military budget

The U.S is likely to take some cues from China when it releases its military spending budget for 2012 this weekend. The unveiling will also explain in part why the U.S. decided to change focus for the future. The swift buildup for the Chinese military is of great concern for U.S. intelligence, but also China's plans to go into space and eventually launch manned moon missions. There's concern they could deny others opportunities in space.

Air Force project mothballed

The Pentagon has shelved a laser-equipped jumbo jet after 15 years and more than $5 billion worth of research to develop an airborne missile defense system. The Airborne Laser Test Bed fell victim to budget cuts. Boeing 747 --with a high energy chemical laser attached has been sent into storage at Davis Monthan Air Force Base near Tucson, Ariz., serves as a boneyard for military aircraft. It's well known and the graveyard for military aircraft.

Pentagon extends apology at local Mosque

A senior Pentagon official apologized Friday to Washington-area Muslims for the burning of Qurans at a military base in Afghanistan. The Associated Press reports, Peter Lavoy, acting assistant secretary of defense for Asia and Pacific security affairs, said the military is investigating what occurred and that all 140,000 coalition troops in Afghanistan are being retrained in the handling of religious materials. Lavoy apologized multiple times during a brief speech during prayer services at the ADAMS Center in Sterling, one of the largest mosques in the country.

Marine Corps crash dampens a happy day

A bittersweet day for the Marines yesterday --More than 170 Marines who recently returned from a 7-month deployment to Afghanistan visited 16 wounded warriors from their unit at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. At the same time, Two Marine Corps helicopters collided over a remote section of the California desert during a nighttime exercise, killing seven Marines in one of the deadliest military training accidents in years. An investigation into what happened is underway.

Investigation underway in Koran burning incident

International Military authorities in Afghanistan are going through evidence from taken from Bagram Airbase to analyze and determine why religious material were burned --causing a firestorm of protest in Kabul. Several questions top their list of queries. They include: What kind of religious material was involved? Why was it removed from the Parwan detention facility? How much was destroyed -and what the chain of events that led to the destruction?

Iranian claims discounted

The Pentagon is disputing reports that Iranian ships docked at a Syrian port over the weekend. According to the Associated Press, Iranian state-run Press TV said Saturday that an Iranian navy destroyer and a supply ship had docked in the port of Tartus to provide training to ally Syria's naval forces, as Syria tries to crush the opposition movement. But Defense Department press secretary George Little said Tuesday the U.S. military saw no indication that the ships docked or delivered any cargo. Little said Tehran's ships went through the Suez Canal and now appear to be going back through the canal again.

Cyber spending to remain steady

Spending on cyber security and special operations forces, will probably remain steady or decline a bit in 2013 under the Pentagon's budget plan. The Associated Press is reporting, defense leaders have insisted that increased investments in these areas were needed to address future national security threats at home and abroad. They said last year that cyber spending would likely increase in 2013 because the threat is escalating at a dramatic rate. But demands to slash the military budget have made it difficult to boost spending. So defense officials are finding savings while still meeting the nation's war fighting needs.

  •  
  • 24
  •