Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
David Olive of Catalyst Partners discusses what could have gone better in the earthquake aftermath.
In the last 20 years, independent evaluations of EPA's labs have turned up operations and management problems, according to the GAO report. EPA also struggles with consolidating its labs.
Robert Shea, a principal at Grant Thornton and the former Associate Director for the Office of Management and Budget, explains how agencies can take advantage of Performance.gov.
The dashboard focuses on eight governmentwide management areas. The site also details how agencies are meeting goals in each of the categories. The administration has been promising the portal for almost a year.
Thousands of office workers didn't have to deal with road construction and confusion about building closures after Tuesday's earthquake in Washington — because they telecommute. Agencies with robust telework policies largely avoided the chaos. But others have been slow to implement the new policies required by the Telework Enhancement Act of 2010.
John Palguta, vice president for policy at the Partnership for Public Service, joined the Federal Drive to discuss how the 9/11 attacks 10 years ago affected.
J. Russell George, Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration, explains how IRS can improve its customer service.
Trying to change the culture-driven patterns of IT spending in the military services by issuing edicts would not work, and should not work, the Pentagon's chief information officer said. She said she sees her role as making sure the services have what they need, and that their IT efforts benefit DoD as an enterprise.
According to a recent survey, most respondents said increased telework training has not been built into their 2012 budgets.
OMB issued implementation guidance for the Government Performance and Results Modernization Act. Over the next few months, agencies and the White House will decide on two-to-eight priority goals. OMB also will develop interim governmentwide goals.
Agencies must sharpen their pencils to figure out what they can afford in 2012 and beyond. The Labor Department is asking program offices to rethink and redo budget proposals and plans. The Air Force will need to take more surgical cuts to find savings.
Federal CIO Steven VanRoekel detailed in a memo what agencies must do to reduce the number of agency websites. He extended the freeze on new dot-gov domains through Dec. 31.
Agencies must submit 2013 budget requests that cut at least 5 percent in spending in discretionary spending compared with this year. Agencies must also submit a version of their 2013 budgets that shows options for cutting an additional 5 percent, or a total of 10 percent, below discretionary spending for this year.
Yvonne Mattocks, the production manager and coordinator of a new health program offered to federal agencies, joined the Federal Drive to discuss why healthier employees are happier.
Customs and Border Protection will send investigators to field offices run by the Department of Homeland Security inspector general. The probes will focus on alleged corruption at U.S. borders.
The Defense Intelligence Agency wants the "revolving door" between government and industry to swing both ways, making it easier for employees to return to the agency after they've left. DIA Deputy Director David Shedd said a new entry-exit program is just getting off the ground to meet the changing needs of its newer — and younger — workforce. This story is part of Federal News Radio's ongoing coverage of the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, "9/11: A Government Changed."
The Pentagon will issue a strategic management plan by the end of August highlighting the services and agencies' plans and milestones to cut costs from back-office functions. DoD Deputy Chief Management Officer Beth McGrath said there are seven main areas DoD will review, including IT infrastructure, acquisition and the workforce. McGrath already is conducting reviews of the first set of efficiency initiatives that began this year.
The Department of Veterans Affairs named 12 finalists in an employee contest to find ways to improve the agency's career training and counseling services.
Patricia Niehaus, national president of the Federal Managers Association, shared her experience in government in keeping the information flowing from D.C. to the field and back.