Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
2012 HCMD Conference
The Human Capital Management for Defense event brings together members of the defense and intelligence communities to discuss best practices for managing human capital.
Agencies must marry workforce and tech planning
Tuesday - 3/13/2012, 12:52pm EDT
"We have to marry the plan for technology with the plan for people so that we're bringing our workforce along in a manner that says we're able to fully engage and use the technologies that are planned to be fielded not just today but 24, 36, 60, 90 months into the future," Jones said.
Agencies today are faced with a multigenerational workforce, with an older generation that has institutional knowledge and a younger generation that has "rapid access to information," Jones said.
"Bringing those two together in a synergistic way makes a very powerful, powerful workforce for the government," he said.
One way DMDC is leveraging those different skills is through Microsoft's collaboration application SharePoint. The agency is using the software in three ways — enterprise-wide, by teams and individually.
The tool is an alternative to "hooking a document to an email and sending it out to 25 individuals to ask for feedback and trying to do version control," he said.