Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
GAO: DoD needs greater financial accountability
Friday - 1/28/2011, 2:16pm EST
In 2005, GAO put DOD's approach to business transformation on its high-risk list. And the report offers a progress report on its recommendations.
GAO says that DOD needs to create greater accountability throughout the organization for good management processes and sound financial management -- and the recently created Chief Management Officer needs to be more powerful and more effective across the military.
GAO said the Pentagon needs to assign specific roles and responsibilities to the chief management officer for integrating the Pentagon's efficiency initiative with ongoing reform efforts
DOD also needs to issue guidance to establish a more effective strategic planning process with mechanisms -- such as procedures and milestones -- for routinely updating plans across the armed services.
This story is part of Federal News Radio's daily DoD Report. For more defense news, click here.