Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
GAO: DoD needs greater financial accountability
Friday - 1/28/2011, 2:16pm EST
In 2005, GAO put DOD's approach to business transformation on its high-risk list. And the report offers a progress report on its recommendations.
GAO says that DOD needs to create greater accountability throughout the organization for good management processes and sound financial management -- and the recently created Chief Management Officer needs to be more powerful and more effective across the military.
GAO said the Pentagon needs to assign specific roles and responsibilities to the chief management officer for integrating the Pentagon's efficiency initiative with ongoing reform efforts
DOD also needs to issue guidance to establish a more effective strategic planning process with mechanisms -- such as procedures and milestones -- for routinely updating plans across the armed services.
This story is part of Federal News Radio's daily DoD Report. For more defense news, click here.