Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
GAO: DoD needs greater financial accountability
Friday - 1/28/2011, 2:16pm EST
In 2005, GAO put DOD's approach to business transformation on its high-risk list. And the report offers a progress report on its recommendations.
GAO says that DOD needs to create greater accountability throughout the organization for good management processes and sound financial management -- and the recently created Chief Management Officer needs to be more powerful and more effective across the military.
GAO said the Pentagon needs to assign specific roles and responsibilities to the chief management officer for integrating the Pentagon's efficiency initiative with ongoing reform efforts
DOD also needs to issue guidance to establish a more effective strategic planning process with mechanisms -- such as procedures and milestones -- for routinely updating plans across the armed services.
This story is part of Federal News Radio's daily DoD Report. For more defense news, click here.