Shows & Panels
Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- American Readiness: Renewable Power and Efficiency Technologies
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Delivering the Digital Government Mission
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal News Radio's National Cyber Security Awareness Month Special Panel Discussion
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- Government Perspectives on Mobility and the Cloud
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- The New Generation of Database
- Reimagining the Next Generation of Government
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
POLL: Deficit commission recs hit feds
Wednesday - 12/1/2010, 5:20pm EST
The White House deficit commission released a plan Wednesday that contains policies that would impact federal pay and benefits.
Here are some of the commission's recommendations:
- Bring federal pensions in line with private sector
The recommendation includes moving from a high-three to a high-five calculation of federal retiree benefits. Feds' retiree benefits are currently based on the average of the highest three years of salary. The commission wants to use the highest five years of salary.
The commission also wants to defer cost of living adjustments for retirees until age 62.
- Three-year pay freeze
The freeze would impact feds and civilians in the Defense Department. The commission estimates the cost savings to be $20.4 billion in 2015.
- Reduce federal workforce through attrition
For every three workers who leave, an agency can hire two new workers. The goal is to cut the federal workforce by 10 percent or 200,000 workers.
- Pilot FEHB Program
The Commission recommends transforming the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program into a defined contribution premium support plan that offers feds a fixed subsidy that grows by no more than GDP plus 1 percent each year.
- Reduce Congressional and White House budgets by 15 percent
Between FY2000 and FY2010, the budgets for Congress and the Executive Office fo the President have grown 50 percent. Reducing the budgets by 15 percent would save $800 million in 2015.
Do any of these recommendations sound like a good idea to you? Take our poll!
Do you have a good idea not on this list? Email us your ideas and comments.